HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Natural hormone replacement Natural hormone replacement

Unread 02-02-2001, 02:39 AM
Natural hormone replacement

I had a total hysterectomy (including ovaries) 3 months ago.
At first I was using Climara patches but after 7 weeks my skin start to irritate. So, my doctor put me on Premarin. After one month of taking Premarin I had some blood test done. My liver was a little bit inflamed and my cholesterol went up a little bit as well. I have also noticed that I'm having a lot of reflux even though I'm taking some antacid. Yesterday I went to see my gyn and he put me on herbal remedies. He's prescribed me Promensil and Remifemin. I was told to take 2 tablet twice a day with Remifemin and one tablet a day with Promensil.
Has anybody taking natural therapies for hormone replacement? I would like to hear from them
Regards,
vk
Unread 02-02-2001, 11:31 PM

VK, alot of women on here seem to decide to go the natural route when it comes to hormones. I am taking compounded estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. They are all natural and do not cause me the side effects that synthetic do. I cannot tolerate synthetic hormones. Never could when I was taking birth control so my doctor and I decided from the start that I would go on natural compounded hormones. I am taking Bi-est and progesterone by capsule and testosterone cream2%. I am very happy with the results. Seems to be no side effects for me.
Hope that helps some. Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-03-2001, 12:28 PM

Just wanted to point to a big tangle of vines here in the Jungle and that's the word "natural." We follow a number of the doctors who work in the field by using "natural" to mean hormones that are identical to the ones your body makes and use "herbal" or something like that for the supplements.

So, Premarin is not "natural" though it's from mare's urine while Prometrium IS "natural" though it's synthesized from wild yams. Honestly, sometimes I think they sneak in at night and grow extra vines here in the Jungle on purpose.

Reflux is probably from menopause itself. If you want an explanation, there's an article I wrote a while back on the changes that happen in the digestion
http://www.hormonejungle.com/weight.htm

So, I'm with sun-worshipper. I think I'd make a go at some of the bio-identical hormones that avoid the first pass effect through the liver. Either patches, creams, or things that dissolve in your mouth, depending on how high the liver enzymes are of course.

About the supplements, well, they're always worth a try, but they just aren't hormones, so the degree of protection is lower. It so happens I researched these too. Promensil is really red clover
http://www.hormonejungle.com/redclover.htm
and Remifemin is black cohosh (my favorite)
http://www.hormonejungle.com/blackcohosh.htm

You might add some tofu to your diet also. Yes there's a soy article too. Whole soy protein that's been fermented does add some protections and some help with hot flashes.

Let us know how you do on the herbs.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.