HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How Many Of You Tried Ablation First? How Many Of You Tried Ablation First?

Unread 03-21-2005, 07:35 PM
How Many Of You Tried Ablation First?

How many of you tried the ablation first, to see if that would stop heavy bleeding, and it failed?

I'm still praying and thinking about things .... it's been suggested I may be a good candidate for the Novasure ablation, and I'd like to avoid major surgery if I can, that is why I ask.

My doctor tells me her success rate is almost 90% for her patients to either stop bleeding all together, or have a very light period, or just spotting. Sometimes it lasts 9 months, sometimes more ... and many times they never have a period again.

I have read the 'ablation' forum, and I hear so many women saying that they're still spotting and having drainage for weeks, sometimes months after. I also hear that it doesn't work many times. .. all though I know you always hear about the 'negative' results more than 'positive'.

I'm 53 and nearing menopause (or not), and doctor tells me this could bide me time until I DO go into meno.

So please share with me, if you've tried the ablation first, and you either continued to bleed heavy or stopped for a time, and started up again, and then decided to have surgery.

Thanks guys!
Dee
Unread 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM

Hi Dee,
I had the baloon ablation a few years back and it was successful for approximately 3-4 years. It might be an excellent option for you!!! I was very satisified. Unfortunaately my bleeding increased after the years passed and my doctor attempted the ablation again. Unfortuantely due to the scar tissue on my uterus she was unable to complete it. She performed a D&c and that helped for approximately 5 months. I would recommend it. It's less severe than a hysterectomy and it just might due the trick for you. Good Luck!!!!!
Unread 03-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Hi Dee,

I went in to have a Novasure ablation on 11/2/04, however, when I awoke in recovery I was told they did not perform it because the machine sent back an error that my uterus was too big. Basically it refused to work because of that. After looking through data on-line I learned that Novasure is contraindicated in women whose uteruses are larger than 12 cm, and in women with fibroid tumors larger than 2 cm. I also found out at that time that my previously small firbroids (less than 2 cm) had grown to a mass about the size of a grapefruit. My bleeding was getting heavier and heavier and menopause was about 8 years away. After talking to my Dr. about it I decided to go ahead and have hysterectomy. I had an LSH on 1/28 and am doing well and very happy. All of the terrible fibroid symptoms are gone, and I no longer have to deal with anemia. I just wanted to share this with you in the event you may have an enlarged uterus or fibroids. Otherwise, I have read many posts from women at the endometrial ablation website who had great success. I really wish I could have gotten by with Novasure because it is such an easy surgery compared to hysterectomy and has a high rate of success. I hope it works for you and bridges your time until menopause.

Best wishes,

Linda
Unread 03-22-2005, 04:04 AM

Hi Dee,

I had hydrothermal ablation on 12/20/03, due to many small fibroids, pain, heavy bleeding and clotting. I was very impressed
by the easy recovery I had, no bleeding, clear discharge for 3 weeks then nothing. Unfortunately February and March brought on the worst periods Ive ever had, labor like contractions during the first period with heavy clotting which lasted for 14 days. Im now into my 8th day of this period which has been very painful. My gyno is certain that the ablation failed, and we are trying to decide whether to repeat or have a partial hysterectomy now. Even though the ablation failed me. if I had to decide over again, yes I would have chosen the ablation. It has had a good rate of success for many woman. One thing to ask your doctor though, I was told that do to my fibroids, I was only a candidate for the hydrothermal method. You may want to question this. Cathy
Unread 03-22-2005, 05:48 AM

Hi Dee,

I had a Gynecare thermal ablation in November of 2002. I have to say that I did continue to have periods, my doctor suspected I would, but they were much lighter, 3 - 4 days in length and 26 days between. Prior to this I was bleeding heavily everyday, no breaks. Some women actually don't have periods ever again. I think that you should give it a try. It may be enough to tie you over until actual menopause occurs and you will still benefit from other hormones produced by your uterus and ovaries.

I unfortunately have again started on the period that never ends again and will be having a hyst tomorrow. I was completely happy with the ablation for 2 full years. If your doctor feels it may work for you, I'd give it a try.

Good luck to you and I wish you well with your decision.
Unread 03-22-2005, 05:59 AM

HI,

I had my ablation back in October 2004 and this did not make much of a change. My bleeding was less heavy but I had them all the time. 4-5 days in the months without having to wear a pad. The worst was the smell.

Finally had to get a hysterectomy 5 days ago. And how I wish the ablation had worked...I encourage you to try the ablation first since the chance of success is very high and you have no paid what so ever after wards.

Good luck.
Unread 03-22-2005, 06:29 AM

I was in the same postion as you several months back. I kept going back and forth - ablations versus hyst- and I know I made the right decision for me. I went ahead and had the Novasure ablation. It was so easy with a very quick recovery. I had already been diagnosed with Adenomyosis which reduces the success rate of the procedure, but my doctor thought it was worth trying anyway.

That being said, my ablation failed, but I don't regret my choice for a moment because I had tried just about every options before going ahead with the hyst. I was more emotionally prepared for it.
Unread 03-22-2005, 08:34 AM

Hello,

I will tell you a little about my experience. I always had heavy and painful periods. I had 2 C-sections and then had my tubes tied after the second one. At age 28 I had a D & C because I was having periods that lasted 2 weeks and were extremely heavy. At age 35 I had another D & C for the same reason. My periods continued to be painful and the bleeding was excessive. At age 38 I had the endometrial ablation done because I had some large fibroids. The ablation removed the lining of the uterus and most of the fibroids but the fibroids had already grown deep into the wall of my uterus so I knew there was a good chance I may have to have a hysterectomy someday. After the ablation I had no bleeding for over a year but gradually the bleeding did come back and was heavy and painful again. I had my hysterectomy (LAVH) 3 years ago at age 41 - my uterus and cervix were removed, I kept both ovaries.

Whether or not the ablation will work depends on what is causing your problems. Fibroids can come back. If you should also have adenomyosis (where abnormal endometrial tissue has infiltrated the muscular wall of the uterus) the only thing that might help would be a hysterectomy.

I have no regrets about trying the ablation first. I have no regrets about having the hysterectomy.

There are no guarantees on the outcome and what the future holds. Even if you decide on an option it may not solve all of your problems. After I had my ablation I was thrilled with the results - until I began to bleed heavily again.

HysterSisters is an awesome site for resources. I would encourage you to thoroughly check out all the resources and even get a second or third doctor's opinion to help you decide what would work best for you. A hysterectomy is a major surgery and you need to be certain one is actually necessary. Ask lots of questions and be sure of your decision.

Here is a link about ablation that you may find helpful:

Alternatives to Hysterectomy: New Technologies, More Options

There are several different procedures for ablation:

Gynecare ThermaChoice Uterine Balloon Therapy System uses a balloon filled with heated sugar (dextrose) solution.

Hydro ThermAblator uses heated salt water (saline solution).

Her Option Uterine Cryoblation Therapy System uses a cryosurgical probe to apply extreme cold.

NovaSure Impedance Controlled Endometrial Ablation System delivers electrical current to a triangular metallic mesh electrode to vaporize the endometrium.

I wish you the best. Take care.

s
Unread 03-23-2005, 01:47 PM

I had a balloon ablation done in Oct 2004. At the time my Dr was "cautiously optimistic" that it would work. I had a 3 mo Lupron shot in July to prep my uterine line for the ablation. Unfortunately, I never stopped cycling while on Lupron, and my lining did not thin (although that shouldn't have affected the outcome of the ablation since the balloon is supposed to provide pressure to think and cauterize the lining).

After the ablation, I did not have a period in November, but started bleeding heavily in Dec. In Jan, the clots got larger and my Dr deemed the ablation a failure. I'm now scheduled for a hyst in April.

I know several women who have undergone various ablations and most of them have had terrific outcomes. I felt it was certainly worth a try, and I'm now comfortable going into my hyst knowing that I've tried everything else I could before having major surgery.

Good luck with your decision.
Ary
Unread 03-24-2005, 11:01 PM

I opted for the Novasure as my first option back in December with a d&c and it failed because my uterus was too big (HUGE in my dr's words) and my cervix wouldn't seal due to the heavy bleeding I had.

I woke up in recovery with my dr telling me the ablation failed and if I wanted a hysterectomy to call her office to have it scheduled. While I was thinking about it, they called me to schedule it and I feel better than I have in years

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.