HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

bikini or vertical cut?? bikini or vertical cut??

Unread 03-27-2005, 06:22 PM
bikini or vertical cut??

Don't know if this is a stupid question but...which cut is better or doesn't it matter. Know that I am a little overweight, 5'7'' 220lbs so I don't know if that makes a difference. I have never been cut before??

Thanks for everyone who writes. I have been reading everyday, date is 4/13 and this site really helps me.

Most days I am scared to death but every now and then once I read some of your postings I feel a little better. I have two small children, 6 & 7 and I am 45. I am very busy with them and I sometimes get afraid that something will go wrong or they will find something more wrong.

Anyway, thanks for your input !!

Lisa
Unread 03-27-2005, 07:13 PM
bikini or vertical cut??

Your DR will decide which type of incision is the best in your particular case. Being overweight doesn't really have much impact. With the bikini cut it's important to dry the incision area well after a shower - lots of us "fluffy" princesses either air dried it well or even used a hairdryer set on low to be sure the incision site was dry.

The vertical incision is used more often if the uterus is really really big, or if the DR needs to get a real good look at the what's going on inside.

Best wishes!
Unread 03-27-2005, 09:21 PM
bikini or vertical cut??

Recovery from the bikini cut is said to be easier, but with "fluffy" girls, I've read that chances for incision infection are higher because of how the skin may fold over that area and trap heat, moisture, etc.... the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Therefore, vertical cuts are not uncommon in those cases.

Discuss it with your doctor. They are the ones with the best guage on what is best for your situation.

Best of luck!!
Unread 03-27-2005, 09:49 PM
bikini or vertical cut??

I asked my Dr. that last week. From what I had read, it sounded like a verticle cut might be better. My Dr. said that since the horizontal cut fit the "fold" it would heal better and not tend to pull apart. We are shrinking my fibroid with Lupron so I can have a bikini cut.
Unread 03-27-2005, 11:25 PM
bikini or vertical cut??

Your doc is the best one to know which incision is best for you. I had to have a vertical cut, because my uterus was so big. I was very upset & worried that I would have a huge scar from the navel down. As it turned out, my incision is only about 4 inches long & starts at least 3 inches below my navel. I was amazed that my doc was able to get that huge blob out of such a small cut. He told me that the skin stretches open easier there, than with a bikini cut. There is also less blood loss during surgery. He said that years ago they were all done that way for those very reasons, but they started doing the bikini cut for cosmetic reasons.

I had a bikini cut 24 years ago when my ovary & tube were removed. To be honest, the vertical cut was less painful afterwards. Also, I think there are more nerves involved with a bikini cut. I say that because I was numb around the incision area for a long time after. It was so long ago, that I don't remember the exact length, but I know it was at least a year.
Unread 03-28-2005, 07:10 AM
bikini or vertical cut??

My surgeon told me he'd do a bikini cut (transverse) and it would be small. He's also going to apply a continuous marcaine infusion pump around the incision to help with pain control. Keeping the skin dry between folds can be a challenge. I'm going to wear very loose things to help keep things airy.

Rhonda
Unread 03-28-2005, 12:43 PM
bikini or vertical cut??

I am fluffy too and I had a vertical incision. This was my first surgery other than a D&C in December so I don't know which is better, but I haven't had much trouble at all. The part I did have the most trouble with was the part of the incision at the bottom where I do have a small fold. A inside stitch came to the surface and had to be removed and there was some infection they cultured and put me on cipro for a week. Once the stitch was removed the spot healed up great.

I haven't had any trouble bending over since about 10 days after surgery. I was also off my pain meds by then.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.