Post Op Bowel Control | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Bowel Control Post Op Bowel Control

Unread 02-08-2001, 09:53 AM
Post Op Bowel Control

HI All!! I hope somebody can help me with this--I am not sure if it is related to my surgery or not. I am almost 8 weeks postop and have no control over my bowels. I am constantly running to the bathroom(sometimes barely making it) This has been going on since my surgery.
I can relate to some of the other postings in regards to lack of sleep--I am not sleeping at night. My doctor has prescribed a sleeping pill for me--which is working. I can also relate to the pain on the right side. I forgot to tell my doctor about that.
Has anyone else experienced the same or similiar type of problem?? I feel like I am going crazy. I hate to eat anything because it is not staying!! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2001, 10:12 AM
Post Op Bowel Control

Kim, I'm not a doctor, but what helped me through a time much like what you're having is acidophillus. I took 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night(the reccomended dose on the bottle.) This helped my bathroom habits immensely. However, I asked my Dr. before I started using it. He told me that sometimes surgery upsets the balance of good bacteria in the colon and acidophillus is a good way to restore the good bacteria levels.

Hope this helps,
Unread 02-08-2001, 03:55 PM
Post Op Bowel Control

You may need to add some bulk fiber to your diet. My doc recommends Citrucel. If there's something you can do about it, I would certainly check it out with your doc.

I noticed I had to stay away from spinach and broccoli or it would be two days on the throne.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2001, 05:53 PM
No stool softener

Presumably you are not still taking stool softeners?

Acidophilus sounds like a really good idea. Also, if it keeps up, I'd think talking to your doctor would be in order.

Unread 02-09-2001, 06:30 AM
Post Op Bowel Control

I'm having the same problem! I've always been a quick one when going #2 the DH will spend 15 minutes and read the paper while I'm in and out in under 2 minutesSometimes I might go back for another quicky not too long after
The first couple of weeks post-op (when I was still taking stool softeners) I was able to sit and relax and even took the paper with me on a few occasions. Since then however, I too am having problems getting there! Once (last week) I didn't make it Stools aren't "hard", but they are within the normal range (not diahrrea), they just seem to come on fast and furious! If I were to increase my bulk fiber I'm sure I would become constipated.
I've been putting the problem off, but am afraid of what might hapen when I go back to work on 2/20! Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but at least you know your not alone!! This website has been so validating for me I can't pass up an opportunity to reply when I identify with a problem! Also, I have pain in my lower right abdomen!

Sandi
TAH+ 1/4/01
Unread 02-09-2001, 08:57 AM
surgery IBS

Hi Kim - I can totally relate to your problem, I have had problems with the same thing. I guess that with these surgeries we can develop temporary irritable bowel syndrome, another one of the little things the dr forget to mention. We are given a large dose of antibiotics before and sometimes after surgery and combined with bowel preps before surgery upset the whole intestinal tract!! Usually the result is constipation and the horrible gas!! We all seem to get the horrible gas but some of us are soooo lucky to get loose stools instead of the constipation!! Ha! Ha! I had this already in the hospital and they gave me the routine stool softeners like they do everyone! Yikeees!! Throw those away if you are still using them!

It is tough planning your whole day around where is the nearest bathroom!!! It does come on with out warning and you do have to be close to the facility!!

It has taken me awhile to put this all together, the dr told me my bowel would be irritated from the manipulation in surgery. I have asked other sisters after doing a search on this topic. I had a bladder infection about 3 weeks ago which didn't help because I thought I had the bowel thing just starting to get back to normal and wham it came back with a vengenance!!! Antibiotics just don't understand that we need the bacteria in our intestines!! LOL! The advice I got ( and it seems to be working for now!!) was taking Acidophilus with EVERY meal and digestive enzymes. You can get these at a health food store and they will be good high quality products. And I also take Metamucil once a day. The other thing to try is Beano with you meals and then the gas won't develop either. Once our intestines get off the mark it takes a while to get the flora on the right balance!!

I never had any bowel trouble before and I believe it is just a matter of time for things to calm down and get on the right track. Hoping!!!!
Take care and let us know how your doing, Marsha

Unread 02-09-2001, 09:31 AM
bowel problems

Don't be too quick to blame everything on surgery. Check with your doctor. He may want to do a stool sample for parasites or other "food poisons". If you had not had surgery would you just let this go?
Unread 02-09-2001, 02:27 PM
Iritable bowels & iritable me...

Thank you so much for all the info. I am being troubled with the same thing. I will run to the health store and get some acidolph.etc..thanks for being there for me!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register