HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How do you keep dogs from eating poop? How do you keep dogs from eating poop?

Unread 04-04-2005, 09:09 PM
How do you keep dogs from eating poop?

Hi Ladies,

I have 2 puppies, one nine month old maltipoo who was easily trained, and a 3 month old Havanese who is NOT so easily trained. He keeps pooping in the house and eating it. Not that he only eats it in the house. He poops outside sometimes and eats it too. As a matter of fact, he eats Fluff's poop too. He just seems to think it's a delicacy or something. I tried the vet's idea of putting Adolph's meat tenderizer on his food- didn't work, and I am currently giving him Deter tablets. He's been getting them for over a week now, but it's not doing any good either. The vet seems to think that I brought it on myself for raising my voice when he would poop in the house. She said he now wants to eat the evidence so he won't get yelled at. It's not like I screamed at him. I haven't put his nose in it or anything either. He's been doing it since we got him at 8 weeks old! I have heard that sometimes dogs will eat feces if they are lacking something in their diet, but no one can tell me what he could possibly be lacking! Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:36 AM

I recently spoke to my vet about this very thing.. He says they are not lacking in anything, some dogs just do it... YUK
There is a product that you can buy from the vet that you sprinkle on their food. When they eat the food and digest it, the stuff makes their poop taste bad(not that it ever tasted good) and then they dont eat it anymore. I had to use it two or three times on my stuborn dog, but he finally *GOT IT* and he doesnt eat poop anymore.
Hope this helps in some small way, cuz after they have a mouthful of poop, doggie kisses are not any fun.
snickers
Unread 04-05-2005, 08:16 AM
"Poopsicles" (my vet's word)

How often are you feeding them? We had been feeding our dog once a day when she had this problem, and the vet said she's not digesting all of the protein in her food that way, so after it's, ah, gone through her, it still smells like food to her!! We broke up the feedings to twice a day, and that helped a lot.

What concerns me more, though, is the pooping in the house! Can you walk them, especially soon after a meal? That guarantees that they will go outside. We were very fortunate with our last dog - she would go "on command" but our current dog will only go (either one!!) if you walk her pretty far. The system works, and she never goes in the house, but it's a pain when the weather's bad, or someone is sick. In fact, I just resumed my post-hyst dogwalking duties yesterday! The DH had to take my turn in the mornings for 10 weeks! (She pulls hard, and, OK, I milked it!)

Good luck!
Merrie
Unread 04-05-2005, 10:43 PM

Hi crazycol I just thought this link to an article about copraphagia (feces eating ) might be helpful:

http://www.vetinfo.com/deatpoop.html#coprophagia

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-06-2005, 03:32 PM

I have used both "forbid" and "deter" --- Forbid seems to work better on my dogs ....... young dogs do this quite frequently, most will out grow it. But not the case in my youngest sheltie He goes through times where he can't get enough and then times he's just not interested in it at all

I do know dogs will eat their own feces out of boredom too -- keep plenty jof chew toys inside and outside for him ( this helps my guy)

Some dogs can be broken of the habit, others can't --- my younger male sheltie, who still does this on occassion -- is 7 years old ! Since your guy is only 3 months old you may have a better shot at curbing this habit -- good luck! (Try the "forbid"! -- ya have to use it for like 3 -4 weeks - but it worked better for me)

~~Jubilee~~
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:06 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! My mom suggested I put pepper on his poop as soon as he goes. Since he seems to have a regular routine - he poops, runs under the couch, checks to see if anyone is looking and then goes back for the "goods"- I had enough time to "pepper" it. He went back and grabbed a piece and ran back under the couch. He quickly came back for another so I thought he ate the first, but he didn't! He checked out every piece before giving up on it, but didn't eat any! I repeated the process tonight and the same thing happened. Hopefully I can catch him in the act and pepper it until he decides it's not as tasty as he thought! I must say, it's really hard to sit by and watch. It's totally disgusting. There ends up being a much bigger area to clean as well, but I can deal with that much better than when he eats it! We're working on teaching him to go outside, and I'm peppering it outside too. I am really trying to be patient. I've threatened to get rid of him, but that would break my kids', husband's, and yes I must admit it- my heart.

I hope pepper doesn't hurt dogs! I think I'll call the vet in the morning! (I think I'll get the Forbid and give that to him at the same time!)

Colleen

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway