HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Coughing after surgery Coughing after surgery

Unread 04-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Coughing after surgery

I had surgery last Thursday and now have my children's cold. Is there any risk of opening the inside stitches from coughing too much? Coughing is very painful and I'm feeling sore, but mostly I am concerned that something inside is ripping open. I'm taking cough syrup as suggested by the OB and eating cough drops. The exterior incision appears to be o.k.

Still coughing. Please help.
Unread 04-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Coughing after surgery

You should be fine and not "rip" open coughing is very painful it is something I dread everytime I have surgery but to help with the discomfort press a pillow against your abdomen as hard as you can handle when you cough this helps relieve some of the pain trust me I know I stand by the tummy pillow. Coughing is good for your lungs most hospitals make you cough after surgery and use a breathing thing to make you cough so you don't get pneumonia. I hope everyone feels better soon, you could also try folding a towel and pressing it against your abdomen sounds painful but suprisingly it isn't that bad better than feeling the burning feeling like you are gonna bust open! ((HUGS))
Unread 04-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Coughing after surgery

Hi there,
At my hospital here in London, the aftercare instructions that I was given actually said that I *should* be making an effort to cough properly.

It said to recline on a bed with my knees bent up and to hold a pillow to my belly. Then take a breath and cough.

I queried this with a doctor at the time, as it hurt so bad, but he assured me that there was no risk of doing any internal damage as a result. He also said that in the first few days/weeks it actually helps to expel any remaining anaesthesia that may be in the system.

Well whether it helps or not, it hurt so bad at the time that I just couldn't do it at all. However, I have to say that I'm now 13 days post TAH, and coughing and sneezing etc isn't bothering me at all.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery and your cold!
Unread 04-05-2005, 05:03 AM
Coughing after surgery

Upon my arrival at home 2 1/2 days after my TAH I started with a slight cough,after having all the meds in the hospital I didn't really want to take more meds so I opted for honey......yes honey, I would take 1 teaspoon when I started getting that tickle in my throat, it worked wonders......
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Coughing after surgery

talk to you DR, my Dr said if i develpoed a cough he would prescribe cough medicine with codine, because it was important i not cough, with the particular procidure he did on me.
(not all our sergeries are the same) - which was contratictory information to the nursing staff who said; you need to cough. (i supose because in general after a hyst its ok, ) ('i guess')

so i think depending on your sergery - the conditions for safe coughing change so ask you sergen.
he is the one who will be able to tell you if it might cause damage.

take care....
Unread 04-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Coughing after surgery

I know! I know! Isn't coughing awful? Well I agree with 2lilButterflies technique. The tummy pillow or rolled up towel will really help. It will still hurt, but it felt like I was at least holding things in or something. I held back so many coughs after surgery. I felt like it was such a scary event to cough and DH had a HORRIBLE cough when I got out of the castle and we refused to get near eachother. I've still only allowed myself to sneeze once since surgery!
The sad thing is how much laughing hurts in the beginning! But it does get better.
Who knew that coughing pain free could be such a joyful experience!
Fro-yo
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Coughing after surgery

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I had a TAH/RSO and am allergic to codeine so can't have the good cough medicine. Have still been coughing and makes my abdomen constantly sore with a little burning sensation after a coughing fit. I am wearing a binder and definately use my pillow. Went to the doc yesterday and he gave me an antibiotic too. Due to my allergies (allergic reaction to Darvocet in the hospital after surgery and we already knew about the codeine) can't have anything for pain but Motrin. Perhaps this is why my abdomen is sore. Hope this cold goes away - not sleeping either and that can't help!

This too shall pass!!

Take care and thanks for the help!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.