Progesterone ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Progesterone ? Progesterone ?

Unread 04-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Progesterone ?

I went to Dr this morning for 6 week check.....and checked out great. Am suppose to continue Climara .1 and progesterone cream 2X daily. But.....I for got to ask if I am suppose to clycle the progesterone. I have found conflicting information. Is it ok to take it continuously? It seems like it would keep me more balanced, but I am not sure. Some sites have indicated that if you have had a hyster then you still need to cycle off for 5 days?
Anyone with any experience?

Thanks
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Progesterone ?

Hi, Kay

I use my compounded progesterone cream once a day and do not cycle it. This was the instructions I received from my DR and compounding pharmacist.

Good luck to you.
Unread 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Progesterone ?

Kay,
I've been using progesterone for over 5 years now and have never missed a day. The directions to cycle are meant for women in natural menopause, not surgical menopause. Once in surgical menopause there really is no reason to cycle our hormones. Cycling the hormones could cause unnecessary fluctuations in your levels and the fluctuations can cause symptoms such as mood swings, hot flashes, etc. We're looking for a steady level of hormones and cycling them won't keep our levels steady.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Progesterone ?

Thank you ladies,

I was really hoping I would not have to cycle it because I didn't want the fluctuations, but I read a couple of articles that said it was still necessary to skip 5 days each month.

Well, Kim, since you have done quite fine for 5 years without cylcling I think that is the way I will go.

Thanks again.
What you ladies do here is wonderful and has probably saved my sanity the past couple of months. I haven't posted a whole lot, but I certainly have read everything there is to read here, and if knowledge is truly empowerment, then I have been truly empowered.
Unread 04-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Progesterone ?

Just my two cents. But I see a WONDERFUL hormone doctor in Dallas and just recieved my saliva test back today. He wants me TO CYCLE my progesterone. After over 20 years in this field he said he has found that when a woman in surgical menopause replaces hormones not only bio-identically but also replicates the way The Good Lord made our bodies to work (by cycling) they feel much better. So beginning on May 1st I will cut my dosage in half for the first 5 days and then in June I will not use any progesterone for the first five days. I'll let you know how it goes! lucydarlene
Unread 04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Progesterone ?

again Kay,
Here's an interesting thread from our archives where we discussed cycling a few years ago: Progesterone and Cycling: A discussion

Good luck to you Lucy, I hope the cycling works out for you. My doc, also an expert in hormones and women's issues, does not think cycling is a good idea for those who are in surgical menopause. I guess different doctors have different theories.

Unread 04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Progesterone ?

Lucy,

I wonder if the fact that you still have an ovary makes a difference and is the reason your dr wants you to cycle? I just read the thread that Kim recommended and it does seem like that might be a reason. There was lots to read there, and I honestly found it all a bit overwhelming so will probably go back and read it a couple of more times.

However, it does seem logical that there would be a difference in HRT for women who have vs those who have no ovaries.

I still think I will try it without cycling, and if I start noticing a problem, maybe just cut back for 5 days or so.

Just a side note: When I was in my Dr's office, I gave her so much information that I had learned on this site about hormones that she just asked me what I wanted to try, then told me that if I wanted to make any changes just call her. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not, but we will try it and if I get lost maybe I will look for someone with more expertise in this area.

Kay
Unread 04-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Progesterone ?

HI Kay

I just wanted to share my experience with cycling my progesterone. I started using it for uncontrollable anxiety attacks and major insomnia.
The first night I started using it...I slept great!! I continued using it every night for about a year (slept great and no more anxiety)Then one day I got this bright idea to cycle it.( I read that somewhere) and I tried taking a few days off.

Within 2 days, I was a mess again. I could not sleep and my anxiety was back. I have never missed a single night since

I have been using my compunded hormones for 2 years and I feel very good without cycling. I agree that it does make a difference with hormones for ladies who still have cycling ovaries and just need alittle boost in their hormones with HRT.

Unread 04-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Progesterone

Lucydarlene.....I just read that you have a good Dr. in Dallas. Would you mind giving me his name? I live in Dallas. I have been on Estrace ONLY for 15 years, and I've just started taking Prometrium. My psych doc proscribed it saying it should help me with my lingering depression and slow metabolism problems. I trust him, but I would feel better going to a Dr. who is an expert in the field. My psych doc is doing a hit or miss kind of thing that makes me nervous and could waste a lot of time in finding the correct dosage for me.

THANKS! Muralisme
Unread 04-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Progesterone ?

Hello!
How does progesterone help with estrogen dominance? I guess I would consider myself in that area- I had fibroids and fibrcystic breasts- had hyst due to fibroids and breast biopsy. All these many years of being just on estrogen and not progesterone, could explain alot of things. The dr. told me that I didn't need any progest. but I have not felt myself for years and I am always looking for ways to feel like me again. I have had different symtoms of low progest. but dr. said I would have to adjust. I have been on test cream for low libido and that is helping and now ready for progest. i think. My level of progest was low but I thought maybe that didn't really matter. Any help or ideas on progest would really be appreciated. thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register