HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

pain 2.5 months after oophorectomy pain 2.5 months after oophorectomy

Unread 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM
pain 2.5 months after oophorectomy

Hello all. I had my left ovary removed (not a hysterectomy) on 1/19/05. Things have been going reasonably well, except for the past week or so I've been having pain on the left side where my ovary used to be. I had a similar pain around week 2 or 3, it subsided but is now back again. It's not surface pain, but deep inside literally where the ovary once was. It's almost like "phantom" pain, like the body thinks the ovary should be there but it's not (hope that makes sense). I've already put in a call to my gyn and I'm waiting to hear back from her. Just wanted to check here and see if any of you ladies have experienced anything similar. It's not debilitating pain. More like a nagging ache. I did take some motrin that I had left over from the surgery but it hasn't helped any. Also, does anyone know how long it usually takes for all of the internal healing to take place? I know it will vary from woman to woman, but any info you have will be helpful. Thanks!
Unread 04-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Hi Samantha

I had an LSO in December 2003 to remove the ovary along with a large endometrioma. I had nagging aches in that area for maybe 6 months after the surgery. After that they subsided, though I still get a twinge occasionally.

Nita
Unread 04-14-2005, 06:59 PM

Hi Nita,
Thanks for responding. Would you happen to remember if you felt more pain during the time that you would've been ovulating? My pain seems to be worse/more persistent during that time so I've been worrying that some remnants of the ovary may have been left behind. I'm currently waiting on the results of an ultrasound I had earlier this week, but I know that ultrasounds don't always detect ovarian remanants. The last thing I want is another surgery because the doc didn't get it all the first time.
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:31 AM

Hi,

I had a hystercetomy 3 years ago - I kept both ovaries at that time.

Last June I had my right ovary removed because it developed complex cysts. About 4 months after the oary removal I began to have pain on the right side - I couldn't figure out why that side would hurt beause the oavry was gone and the doctor left no remnant. I had ultrasound, CT scan, and MRI which showed no reason for th pain. I tried pelvic massage thinking it may be adhesions - it did not help I still had pain.

Eight weeks ago I mad more surgery to see what was causing the pain - my doctor found a small tumor in my right pelvic area - this tumor was not there last June . The tumor had developed a blood suply and was entangled in nerves. The surgery was complicated but the entire tumor was removed and I am thankful the pathology came back benign.

It can take many months to recovery from any surgery. However, if your pain persists be sure your doctor continues to explore what may be causing the continued pain.

Take care.

Unread 04-02-2006, 07:29 PM

Hi there I had both ovaries and tubes removed on Oct 4 2005 and I still have twinges of pain on both sides. My docter said to expect some pain during weeks 4-6 as all of the internal stiches would start to disolve. I found that the more activity that I did the more pain that I had and also the more bleeding I had. The pain does get better each week. I had a really hard time with depression for about two weeks after but I had both ovaries removed and I am only 35. I hope that you are feeling better soon
Natalie Tilly101
Unread 04-16-2006, 12:09 AM

hi vickie:

i'm so sorry for the delay in replying, but i'm not on the board very often so i just saw your message. i had my surgery back in jan. 2005. like you, i had pain getting out of bed on my left side (the side where my ovary was removed) for quite a while after surgery. i can't remember exactly how long it took for that to go away, but it was definitely there at the 2 month post-op mark. as for how long it took my remaining ovary to start functioning correctly, i guess i was fortunate in that respect. i had a period the month following my surgery. i was 29 at the time of surgery and i hadn't had a period for 2 years prior to that. exactly 28 days after the tumor and left ovary were removed, i got my first one and i've had one every month since. the phantom pain that i initially posted about has basically gone away. i do still get pains every now and then, but nothing consistent. i also still get pains in my stomach below my belly button ocassionally, on the inside like where the internal stitches would have been. it comes and goes from time to time, but other than that everything seems to be going well. i hope this info helps a little.
Unread 04-16-2006, 07:24 AM

Hi,

I had my ovarian surgery around the same time you did. I have the same thing and wasn't sure what it was. Still not sure! I have endometriosis, so I thought it could be related to that. I'm going to ask my doctor when I see her in two weeks.
Unread 04-16-2006, 08:19 PM

I had an RSO in Oct. '05 and still have pain where it feels like the ovary was. I previously had a LAVH/LSO, so I have NO ovaries left, but it feels almost like my pain is cyclical! I am going to Johns Hopkins for a consultation on Wed of this week as I live in Maryland and will hopefully get some answers. I need to finally be pain-free. Sounds though like a lot of us are in this boat!
Unread 04-19-2006, 04:13 PM

Hi, I had a ct scan because I am having terrible pain in my right lower abdomen. Doctor said that nothing showed up on the ct scan. I am still in so much pain. I had my left ovary removed by laproscopic surgery on April 5, 06 and he is telling me that I am experiencing surgical pain. The surgery was on my left side. How can I be having so much pain on my right side? I am so frustrated ... he wants me to wait a good six weeks before he will do anything surgically to see where the pain is coming from. I am thinking maybe I should see another doctor ... what should I do? I'm tired of this pain and no quality of family life.
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Susan, do you have a right ovary where it hurts? Or was that taken out at an earlier point? If you still have a right ovary does your doc think it could be that acting up?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.