HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How to find really old medical records??? How to find really old medical records???

Unread 04-08-2005, 09:37 AM
How to find really old medical records???

Hi Sisters

I'm totally lost on this one & I need to ask your help in case some of your are in the medical field and would know - or if you're a better researcher than I am (that would be a GIVEN!)

Here's the problem - I am trying to track down some records from the dark ages - 27 years ago. I have the month/year, but not the day(s). I have the doctor and hospital name, but the Doc would now be in his mid-70's, I'm sure no longer practicing, and the hospital either no longer exists - or has been bought out and now goes by another name.

The kicker is that I actually have these records, but they are buried somewhere in a box - of, ohhhh, a hundred or so boxes, in another state, in my storage unit. I have very good friends there, but I sure can't ask them to go looking - and I can't go there myself anytime soon either.

Is it true that medical records are never thrown away? I have looked for the Doc in the white & yellow pages, and on the AMA site, and can't find his name in any of those places. Any ideas? I'm very stuck & need some sister help!

hugs,
joano
Unread 04-08-2005, 09:56 AM

Well Joano,

I don't know how much the laws vary from state to state. But I'm in California. I had a mamogram several years ago when I was in my early 30. When I had a recent mamogram, I tried to obtain the old records for a baseline. I was told they had been destroyed. I believe they told me that they are destroyed after 7 years.

Good luck, hope you are able to locate yours.

Luvmabug
Unread 04-08-2005, 10:21 AM

Joano,
In Indiana Paper copies are kept for 7 years, and then everything else is put onto microfilm. But it should be around....many hospitals use companies that are there for that sole purpose. (Storing medical records.) So if you find out who is storing for that particular doctor/hospital, you should be in luck. They can then print off from the microfilm. But it will most likely take some researching! Happy digging!

Cortney
Unread 04-08-2005, 11:29 AM

This is the only thing I can think of off the bat. Call the hospital even if it is under a different name. Ask for medical records and tell them what you need (they don't need exact date btw...if you have month that is a bonus for them, all they really need is year) . It is true that after a certain amount of time the records are sent to a company whose business it is to store old medical records, usually on microfilm. So if they are no longer affiliated with the old hospital (don't have any records from them) then ask them about the companies that do the storing and start calling them.
Have you asked your current PCP if they have copies. I know when I change docs, they always get records from previous PCP.
Good luck and if I think of anything else I will let you know.
Unread 04-08-2005, 11:47 AM

I would over to the building (don't even know if it's still there, or still a hospital or not) if only I had any idea where it was, or even what part of town it was in. I can't for the life of me, remember. My brother can't remember either. No one else who was involved & would remember is alive or if they are, ahem, I have no contact with him. So I can't call 'the hospital' - there lies the problem.....

How would you find out about the medical records company? (probably in India, right? lol!)

HELLLLLP?????

(& thank you to the sisters who have replied)

joano
Unread 04-08-2005, 11:49 AM

What you could do is call another local hospital and ask them the names of some of the companies and phone numbers and take it form there.
I take it that your PCP doens't have any of your old records. Maybe an old PCP might still have them too.
Unread 04-08-2005, 11:53 AM

What is a PCP?
Unread 04-08-2005, 12:17 PM

Think it stands for Primary Care Provider. That would be your general practitioner or primary doctor.
Unread 04-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Sorry joano---it is what jonan said.
Unread 04-08-2005, 06:28 PM

joano

Have you tried looking up all hospitals in that city? You could then contact each one of them and see if they have the records.

I recently sent for some records and was not even sure of the year and they were found. They did come from a company and if you want to you can PM me and I will get you the name of the company

Jane

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.