HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Normal range for estradiol? Normal range for estradiol?

Unread 04-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Normal range for estradiol?

I am 14 months post op, no ovaries and have been on Vivelle Dot .0375 since just after surgery. I'm having some mild symptoms that "match" the list for low estrogen. A recent blood test showed estradiol level of 32 PG/ML. My doctor described that reading as "a little low." Bone density and thyroid tests are normal....my symptoms aren't horrible, but bothersome. Is there a level of estradiol that is considered optimal? I know it is best to keep replacement levels as low as possible but I want to get the most benefit I can without overdoing it. Should I look at taking the Vivelle in a .050 dose? Thanks.
Unread 04-10-2005, 04:18 PM

Most of my doctors say that they prefer to see 100 pg/ml to 150 for women that have gone thru hysterectomies and are on hrt.
Unread 04-10-2005, 08:22 PM

In the end optimal will be determined by how you feel. You don't mention your age but if you are younger than menopausal that would be pretty low. Unreplaced menopausal levels might be in the 20's. or even teens.

You don't sound like you are even close to overdoing it. Ask your doctor what range he/she would like to see you in considering your age, ect.
Unread 04-11-2005, 04:49 AM

Hi Janis

When I was going in for blood work to check my levels, my doctor was aiming for a number around 100. More important than numbers though is how you are feeling.

If your symptoms are not bothering you and you want to keep your level low, then I would say stay where your at.

If your symptoms are bothersome and you want to increase the dose to see if you feel better, then going to the next higher patch would be a good way to see how you feel.

The .05 patch is a fairly normal starting place for women and alot of women use the .075 or .1 patch....so I do not think you would be over doing it if you would like to go higher.

Unread 04-11-2005, 02:45 PM

geez my estrogen level was 800 when I had my levels checked, 2 diff drs said that women on replacements are usually higher than women w. ovaries and neither seemed concerned that my level was 800!
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:47 PM

one other thing he siad was that the levels do drop and raise during day as your body uses it, so just b/.c my level said 800, it could havebeen b/c I had only taken my 3mgs about 2 hrs before i had the blood drawn
Unread 04-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Levels

What kind of Dr. checks your levels. An endocrinologyst or the OB Gyn?
Unread 04-14-2005, 04:37 AM

Hi Lixxy

Any type of doctor can check your hormone levels. It is usually the doctor that you are using for your HRT.

My doctor does a blood test and checks for my estradiol level, progesterone level, total and free testosterone levels.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.