HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

An embarrassing problem that I wish wasn't. An embarrassing problem that I wish wasn't.

Unread 04-12-2005, 06:36 AM
An embarrassing problem that I wish wasn't.

ladies, I was reluctant to bring this up, and I know my husband loves me as much as he ever did before I had to have my surgery, but I am so dry initially when we first try to make love, and don't know what to do. I mean, once I'm in it more, it's great, but initially, I just don't get stimulated enough to get over the dryness issue, and it takes me a good while to get into it, as I don't feel the same sensations I used to.

I thought with time, I would be able to get back to what it was before, as now I don't have a uterus that is basketball size and hurts anymore from all the massive fibroids and bleeding, which is why I never mentioned it here and thought to myself everything will be fine, so I went on like nothing was wrong, with the hope that everything would be ok eventually...*sigh*. I also sometimes think in the back of my mind why bother with lovemaking, as nothing will come out of it anyway--shoot, I guess it is also depressing to think that I will never be able to have a child come out of this wonderful love me and my husband have found together.

Does that progesterone cream really work? I can't order it online from here, as I don't have a credit card. Or can you ladies recommend anything over the counter that would help...thanks for listening.
Unread 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM

I'm sorry you are having a rough time with the dryness issues. I had a TVH and kept both ovaries and do feel dry at times and do use something called Astroglide. A lot of women on here say it's probably one of the best lubricants and when I went to my gyn today he mentionned it to me and I also have been having pain and he recommended it to me as it helps if you are having pain. Hope this helps. Here is one link about a poll about lubricants if you are intersted. Only a couple of drops is needed otherwise it's to much. Hang in there. Dryness is not necessarily a bad thing. I had to use light day pads everyday till my hysterectomy because of a dreded discharge. s
Unread 04-12-2005, 05:05 PM

Hi I've moved your post over here to the Sexual Dysfunction forum, where you'll find lots of ladies who understand. Nothing to be embarassed about! Vaginal dryness is a really common problem post op, and it can make sex very painful sometimes

Progesterone cream generally isn't that helpful for this sort of thing. IMHO the best treatments are vaginally applied estrogen (for the dryness) and testosterone (for sex drive, which from what you said sounds like it could use a boost too).

There are lots of different choices in vaginal estrogens. I have used Premarin cream (very effective but messiest), compounded estriol cream (less effective but good for 'maintenance', and a little less messy), and Vagifem (easy, effective and not messy at all). I'd recommend either Premarin cream initially (if it's really bad) and then switching over to Vagifem after a few weeks, or just Vagifem if things aren't too bad. Your DR can give you prescriptions for either/both, and both are usually covered by most insurance plans. They are only used vaginally, so they don't really affect your overall estrogen level, only your vaginal walls.

As far as sex drive goes, that's usually due to low testosterone. Before replacing the testosterone, though, I'd have the DR test your serum levels of free and total testosterone to see if you're really low. It's also a good idea to have your lipids (cholesterol) checked, as well as your liver function, before using testosterone. Women with problems with either of those aren't good candidates for using testosterone.

I use a compounded testosterone cream, which is applied to the vulva. I started out using it every night, and it took a couple of weeks to really work; since then I have decreased my dosage until I am now only using it once a week and still feeling good.

I'm sure you'll hear more feedback from other ladies who have treated their vaginal dryness and low libido with 'local' solutions... and I hope you'll talk with your DR about what you read here. Good luck!

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm just glad I have a good man who understands...

because if I were still married to my first husband, he would want it all the time. He was abusive anyway, and always took it out on me when I didn't feel like doing anything due to the pain and bleeding, because I was having female problems even then.

My second husband I have now told me last night that if we didn't have sex but every so often, that was fine with him, because he isn't like the majority of other men who thinks that is all there is in a marriage. Obviously, my second husband married me for being a wife, a life partner and companionship, not just for the bedroom. I still feel like I am not satisfying him, though, and it makes me feel bad. I want things to be good, and I have lost so much sensation from the surgery. It had to be done to save my life, yes, and he knows that, but still, it ***** that the sensation for me achieving great pleasure is almost non-existant.

I don't have medical insurance at the present time to see my doctor about getting meds for this, or having tests done to check my hormone levels, because I changed jobs in December, and I have to be there a year before I can get medical insurance. I guess, in the meantime, I need to get lubricant like astroglide, and see if he can extend the foreplay longer. I don't know what else to do.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.