HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

feeling razor blades in bowels feeling razor blades in bowels

Unread 04-13-2005, 05:02 AM
feeling razor blades in bowels

I was able to have a BM on Friday.I knew that one would be rough, but so have the ones thereafter. I can literally feel waste moving through my bowels and it feels as though it is razor blades and not poo.
Has anyone had this problem?If so, how long did it last?
I called my Gyn and he is confused as to why I am feeling this.He prescribed some meds for IBS, in hopes they would work.They aren't though.
Any sisters out there that can help or offer some info ?
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:07 AM

The only thing I can say is that I am 3 weeks postop from a TAH and the bm thing gets better and beter each day. Drink plent of water, take a stool softner and eat lots of fiber.... Good luck in your recovery.
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:41 AM

Hi Tammarree,
I have grumpy bowels, used to have irritable bowels!! Yes I know that feeling well, and it isnt fun. I didnt have it after my surgery, as I was on Colace. Around 2 mos I went off everything. I waited that long as I am prone to nasty constipation. Well in the last couple months, I get those feelings sometimes, but only when I have been a bad girl. If I dont eat my fiber properly, or I eat too much junk food, then I get that. However that being said, I had issues before my surgery with the old irritable bowels, and they really used to reek havoc on me. I will settle for the razor blade thing now!! Better than one minute having constipation, thinking I am done, getting as far as possible from a bathroom and having explosive diarrhea!!

I wish I could say Oh yeah, goes away about 3 weeks, but it can take your poor intestines a long time to settle down and into their new home. I would definitely say if you are going regular and not straining, to just take a wait and see. If it hasnt gone by your 6 week check, ask your doctor.

Oh yeah one last thing, check out the meds you are on. Some are for constipation, and others are for diarrhea. You obviously dont want the ones for diarrhea, as in my opinion they would make it worse.

Hugs
kat
Unread 04-13-2005, 08:53 AM

HI, what an appropriate description!!!!!!!!!!!! I know, my first few BM's after surger were horrible. I just wanted to cry. I tried several remedies, what worked for me is a glass of metamucil in the AM, and a glass at night with two stool softners. This seems to be working for now.

If i had not experienced it, noone could convince me that going to the bathroom could be soooooooooooooo PAINFUL.

I wish you quick relief!

God bless you.
Unread 04-13-2005, 09:19 AM

I had some pain associated with BMs the first week or so--but I think it came from the pressure of my full bowel against the newly cut and stitched tissue. That's what hurt, not the bowel itself. And the movement thing was a little sluggish at first. Even now it takes longer than it did before surgery. My doctor told me that the bowels are rearranged a bit during the operation and it takes awhile for them to get back to normal.

Of course, thanks to my now-absent massive fibroids, before surgery I'd have a five minute warning, and then look out!! This way is much more preferable.
Unread 04-13-2005, 03:25 PM

Thank you all sooooooooooooo much.Nice to know, I'm not the only one.
I take 2 Colace a day and try and eat as much fiber as I can.I also drink anywhere between 32 to 64 ounces of water a day to help keep things going smoothly.
Thanks again Ladies!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.