HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

LAVH and LSO, one week later LAVH and LSO, one week later

Unread 04-13-2005, 07:45 AM
LAVH and LSO, one week later

Good Morning, Sisters

Well, one week ago right now I was in the shower getting ready for my big day. I had gotten a little freaky the day before, but reading so many encouraging postings, and speaking with a co-worker who went through the exact same procedure a few months ago, really helped. So, into the hospital I went. Everything was different than the previous year when I had my right ovary removed and a lot of endometriosis cleaned up. Last year, I didn't have to do bowel prep, but this year I had to have an enema, at the hospital - yuck. Thankfully, when I told the nurse I could do this myself, she let me, instead of administering it herself. YEA! Also, last year, they shaved me after I was asleep - not this year. I was starting to worry that they would try to insert the catheter while I was awake, but - yea - that did not come. My DR came by, we talked about what he was going to do, the anesthesiologist came by, gave me some "happy juice", and, according to my sister, as they wheeled me back to the OR, I was sitting up on the gurney, legs crossed indian style, (thank goodness I had a blanket covering my lap!), kind of royal-waving to all the other patients in the "one day surgery" ward. Apparently I caused quite a stir. Anyway, when I woke up, I found that my DR had been able to preform the surgery laproscopically, but only just barely. Not only had a lot of the endo returned, but because of adhesions, my left ovary and tube were pretty well stuck to other things. But I'm done, and home in about 48 hours. I've noticed that I am not bouncing back as quickly as I did last year. I have more pain than last year. Everyone tells me that is because I had so much more done this year. I guess I am just surprised, since the incisions are smaller. Also, I was barely bothered by swelly belly last year; so did I heed my sisters' warnings and go buy bigger panties this year? Of course not. I am totally hating undies at this point. But, everyday I fell a little better. But I am trying to be a good patient, staying at home (tho' I would really like to go to WalMart to buy some big panties!), walking a little more each day, drinking a lot of water and juice, and just healing. I hope all my 4/6/05 sisters are home, and heling well. Thanks to everyone for all the kind help, and good wishes.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.