HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What does Severe Endocervical Dysplasia mean? What does Severe Endocervical Dysplasia mean?

Unread 04-14-2005, 07:27 AM
What does Severe Endocervical Dysplasia mean?

Does anyone know?
Unread 04-14-2005, 07:38 AM

Hi, Angie! Welcome to Hystersisters!

Endocervical is the area on the inside of your cervix. Your cervix is kind of like a tube, so the cells that grow on the inside of that tube are the endocervical cells. There are different types of cells there including squamous cells which are closer to the lower end of the cervix, and glandular cells which are closer to the top of the cervix near the uterus.

Dysplasia implies that the cells have abnormal characteristics--they are no longer healthy, normal cells. But unlike true cancer, these cells have not begun invading the cervix yet--they are only growing in the "skin" of the cervix.

Dysplasia is subdivided out into different levels. Severe dysplasia means that at least 75% of the cells in the area that was examined are abnormal, but that as many as 25% of them may still be normal (this is a rough description). This is also known as HGSIL (high-grade squamous interepithelial lesion). There is also moderate and mild dysplasia. It's important to have moderate and severe dysplasia treated and monitored. Mild dysplasia must be monitored, but frequently does not require immediate treatment.

Dysplasia is frequently treated with a cone biopsy or LEEP. These procedures remove the abnormal cells, allow for a pathology report to be done to ascertain the severity of the condition, and then in 80-90% of cases is also considered to be the cure for dysplasia.

I hope this helps a little. Please feel free to ask us more questions if you have them.

Unread 04-14-2005, 07:49 AM

Thank you that helps alot. My doctor was more concerned about that result than the severe cervical dysplasia. I am having a LEEP but he wasn't very optimisitic (leaning more towards hyst). Then I am reading all of these other stories and it seems their results get worse every biopsy they do...I will find out if that is the case with me too soon. It started LSIL now HSIL after colscopy...I just want it over with. I have been going to appts and waiting for months now!
Unread 04-15-2005, 09:49 AM

I am sad and glad at the same time to see the previous response. I wish I could say we don't have something in common. I went in to have my annual pap that had been scheduled for 6 months in advance. Then I went in to have a tummy tuck 1/24/05, (kind of a treat to myself for my recent achievments). I was called at home the day after and I too was initially diagnosed with the abnormal pap 1/25/05, sent to a Women's Health Clinic to find out that the abnormal pap was "highly suspect ...cervical cells." Had a colposcopy done and waited for what seemed like forever to get the results. She called me and said I am so sorry the results are... Severe Endocervical Dysplasia. She thought they would be mild. Because there had not been any available appts I had to wait until 4/12 to get the follow up appt needed to consult with the Dr. to find out the true results which are Carcinoma-in-Situ. I just got off the phone and found out that he has me scheduled for a hysterectomy on 5/10/05. Now I am getting nervous. I hope all works out for you.

Unread 04-15-2005, 10:24 AM

I hope everything works out fine for you! The waiting does seem to be the difficult thing. Once I know the final results I can take the bull by the horns! At the snail pace I am going thus far I am probably looking at June or July for the Hyst.

It does help to know you aren't the only one who is being "frogged" around by the system!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.