HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sick of swollen, bloated big belly! Sick of swollen, bloated big belly!

Unread 04-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Sick of swollen, bloated big belly!

I had surgery December 16th and I still have a bloated huge belly. I'm so sick of it. Is it normal to have it this long? Could it be from the hormones (just started Estrace on 3/28) or from the surgery itself. I feel great other than that but I can't stand this stomach.
Unread 04-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Hi,

What you're describing sounds like swelly belly which is caused by the surgery itself. Unfortunately, it can hang on for months, and seems to be worse at the end of the day.

Just hang in there, it will eventually go away, it just may take some time before it does.

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Swelly Belly seems to be VERY common with any surgery involving the abdomin. I prefer to call it my GUT! I have a feeling of ants in my "gut" when I try to get to sleep at night. Insomnia is NOT a friend!!! Hyster Sisters have given me more info on the subject than my Family DR, my Surgeon, and/or my friends!!!
I am very unsatisfied w/ my swelly belly also!!!! I feel great except for the fatigue and the swelly belly!!!! Ticks me off !!!!! I have a 39 yr young brain trying to tell a post op body (which feels 90 yrs OLD) to get busy and THEY fued everyday!!! I SHOULD BE doing this or that and then the body tells me NO!!!! Take Care of yourself~~~~~~~~FIRST then you can be the best you are for the ones YOU love!!!!!!! Hey~~~~If you are TOTALLY HEALTHY~~~taking care of you, then you can take care of those you love!
Keep cking hyster sister website and I just KNOW that there will be an answer for your prob!!
I have swelly belly the worst when I do things that SEEM normal for my preop gut. Like~~~~put clothes in dryer, open 3 ft. sliding glass patio door (for weiner dog(to go in or out)), get out of bed to quick, wipe my tush in a hurry, fill bird feeders, peel potatoes, dump bath trash in burn barrel, open oven door,stay on feet to long, etc.... I keep forgeting that I HAVE HAD MAJOR SURGERY!!!! My Woman Brain is not communicating with my woman body!!!! ~~Gotta do this or that!!~~~~
I have had to go back to surgeon a couple of times because I didn't listen to his warnings.
I was lucky , in that ,I hadn't done any permanent damage. I have heard of Ladies having lesions that cause severe pain and have to go back in for more surgery!!!! A couple of women that I talked to have had to start using canes,to get around,because they had lesions (unhealed incisions inside the body that didn't heal properly)! Hope you take YOUR recovery seriously!!!
I don't want to go back to the castle!!!! EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Take Care of YOU!!!!!
Unread 04-16-2005, 06:54 PM

ShawnMarie: If you just had surgery 3/29 then yes, I would certainly think a swollen belly would be normal for you and that you should be taking it easy. I have been going about all my normal activities for 3 full months, if not more. I have been back to exercising including abdominal exercises too. I know what you mean though about having to do this and that. As a woman, we only know one speed and that is full speed ahead. We just don't know how to do "nothing" like the opposite gender. I too am 39 years old and have had no children so I am going through a lot of emotional trauma from the surgery, having had EVERYthing removed and having so many hormonal changes to deal with. On top of that, I quit smoking 3 weeks ago. I'm a freaking basket case right now!

Hang in there and keep on resting. You are early in your recovery yet. It will get better. Heck, I felt fantastic right after surgery, thanks to narcotics! Now I feel like Pooey emotionally but at least I don't have pelvic pain any more, not one single bit and that is a blessing straight from heaven!

Take care everyone.
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:50 PM

At 5 months, I am still having bouts of swelly belly. It's not as bad as it was, but it's still a reminder to slow down and take it easy every now and then. It does get better, but it takes much longer than one would think!
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:59 PM

I had surgery 12/13/04 and my stomach is still 4 inches bigger then the day before surgery. It was only 3 inches up until I started being more active as far as walking and exercise. Now it is big more then it is smaller. My weight has stayed the same. I still can't have anything tight around my waist either but I don't know if that has more to do with the cyst on my ovary they just found or if it's the swelly belly (it's probably both).

Hang in there. I know what you feel like - it's the pits. I am SOOOO not looking forward to being in a swimsuit this summer. I might have to look at a maternity one just to cover my stomach and how depressing that will be.

Rachelle

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.