HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hot Flashes worse when laying down?? Hot Flashes worse when laying down??

Unread 04-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Hot Flashes worse when laying down??

I am 4 weeks out from my LAVH, kept both ovaries. I am experiencing the night sweats and hot flashes at night (cold flashes during the day!). Anyway, it seems that if I lay down in bed at night I get hot flash after hot flash all night. But if I go sleep slightly reclined in my recliner I can sleep without the hot flashes. Anyone else notice this? I am tired of sleeping in my chair! How long does it take for my ovaries to get over the shock of surgery and work again??
Unread 04-20-2005, 03:02 PM

Hi,

Sorry you have to sleep sitting up all the time. I guess everyone is different with their hot flashes. It might be that lying down makes for more blood flow and affects the blood vessels in the head and upper body. It may help your body to stay cooler with it elevated. I felt hotter lying down in the bed than being somewhere else sitting up. There is more air circulating around you sitting than lying maybe, and blood flow not rushing to head sitting.

Would it help to have a fan on you in the bed and a cool damp cloth nearby to put on your forehead if you feel warm?

I hope you can get back to your bed to get some sleep soon. I am not sure when your ovaries will wake up, but if you are getting too miserable maybe you can ask dr what you can do to help this along.

s
Unread 04-20-2005, 04:42 PM

Yup!! I get them more when I lay down as well! I don't know why though. Perhaps we are more still then and our bodies have those stronger while at rest.

Or maybe it's because we are still and we just notice them more.

Whatever the reason, the hot flashes are my worst symptom right now and I am okay with that. They are annoying as all get out, but compared to what I COULD have...this is fine!!

I haven't found alot to work to cope with them interrupting my sleep. Throw off the covers and sleep with a fan on you. I considered keeping wipes next to me and wiping down when I have one, but I would be unable to sleep till I was dry. I also tried sleeping pills to just sleep through them, but they didn't work and I felt terrible the next morning.

Nobody can say when your ovaries will kick in again because it varies with each individual. But be encouraged that you are on the road to recovery and life won't always be about these hot flashes.

Best to ya!

Ramona
Unread 04-20-2005, 05:59 PM

I have found the 'flashes' worse at night, too - 9 weeks out - I have yet to get a full night sleep. Covers on - Covers off - ! It's tough. I'm so tired - used to be a really good sleeper ! Now that it's getting warm here - weather wise - the flashes are increasing during the day, too. Why ??

:burning:
Unread 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM
hot flashes

I too have more hot flashes at night than during the day, or either i pay more attention to them as they interrupt my sleep. I am almost 4 months out & no better. I had maybe 1 hotflash a night before surgery, now it is very different. I am 60 & was through menopause, or they thought I was, but this has been awful. Dr gave me low dose of premarin .3 & that stopped the hot flashes after about 8 days but then i got terrific headaches & body aches & swelling & my family dr thought it was the premarin so I went off of them. Hot flashes are back, headaches are better but I still have some light headed feelings. I had such good mental outlook during my recovery & done well after surgery but had hoped by now to have moved on but this head thing & sleeping is a constant thing, I dread night coming. I even have ambien fo sleep & the hot flashes out do the sleeping pill. I have to admit I am a little disgusted.
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:10 PM

Oh sisters, how I can relate to your HOT FLASHES!!! I chill first then the night sweats. I pray everyday this little orphan of an ovary, of mine is going to kick in soon. If not by week 6 going on something to help me. Best of luck to each of you.
Unread 04-20-2005, 08:25 PM

On extremely low dose HRT - Menostar patch .25 - concerns about endo. coming back with higher dose. Told I have to deal with it.

Unread 04-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Hot flash help

My oncology gyn gave me Lexapro, an anti-depressant, which has helped with the hot flashes and the unexpected mood swings. I am 56, was through menopause, but gave up both ovaries in the hysterectomy so they must have been producing a little something. I was having the hot flash/chill swing too.
Unread 04-24-2005, 07:34 PM

My hot flashes/sweats are MUCH more intense at night in bed... wake up soaking wet, then, after I throw off all the blankets, I get so cold my teeth chatter! My doc prescribed Effexor, but I've decided to hold off until I start work, and if I can't get enough decent sleep because of the dang sweats, I guess I'll have to try it. Now that the weather is getting warmer, my daytime flashes seem to be increasing, too. When my Dr told me to expect this to last two years or more, I almost fainted! She doesn't want me on HRT (not even the OTC phytoestrogens) for at least 3 months because of the Stage IV endo that covered everything in my abdomen and made my hyst a 3 hour nightmare. For my part, if I can make it thru 3 months, I might as well try to stay off it entirely...after all, unless you're on a successful HRT Regimen for the rest of your life, you're gonna have to go thru this menopause junk eventually...(JMHO )
Soooooo... I'm taking a heavy-duty women't vitamin, as well as calcium supplements, and I guess I'll just see how it goes...
My heart goes out to all who are trying to handle these new challenges...
Unread 04-24-2005, 08:10 PM

ephphatha00,

It sounds like we had alot of the same problems. My endo induced adhesions covered all my chic plumbing. My doc also doesn't want me on anything for 3 months. That ends in late May. I am taking Estroven but it ain't doin' much. I do find that when I have excercised during the day, the sweats lessen during the day.

I have found no cure for the nights. If I do, though, I bet I'd get paid handsomely!!

Good sleep wishes to all of the fellow sweaty suffering women folk!!

Ramona

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.