HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hair loss after Hysterectomy Hair loss after Hysterectomy

Unread 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Hair loss after Hysterectomy

Has anyone been experiencing hair loss since their hysterectomy? I've heard this can happen, but when do you worry? This has been going on for about 3 weeks now, thank God I have thick hair! I had a thyroid test, which came back normal. But now what? Where do I go from here?
Unread 04-20-2005, 04:16 PM

I have also been experiencing hair loss. Everywhere I look in my bathroom is hair. It's on my bed pillow. When I get out of the shower the drain is full of hair. I don't know what is causing it. I don't look like I am going bald but I sure am loosing alot of hair. Maybe someone else has had this happen and can tell us what might cause it because I sure don't know.
Unread 04-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Dont worry.Ive had numerous surgeries over the years & with each one, I've lost hair.My sis is an anesthesiologist & says its from the anesthesia.
Unread 04-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Hair loss after hysterectomy

Thanks for the information. I'll try not to worry, that makes me feel better.
Unread 04-20-2005, 05:09 PM

I've been losing my hair too - I'm 6 weeks out and have been losing it since day one. I just want to throw this possibility out - how are your iron levels? Not hemoglobin, but actual ferritin and saturation levels. There is evidence that low ferritin levels cause alopecia in women. Mine are very low, so I am on supplements. I, too, have thick hair and I'm so glad but I do worry that it can't take much more! LOL
Unread 04-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Hair loss

The same thing is happening to me...I'm so worried about it. When I shower, the tub actually plugs up from the large chunks of hair I am losing!

I am going on 4 1/2 months post op, and I am just now noticing how bad it is. I am hoping it is due to my hormones balancing out. I have PCOS, and I'm sure my body needs to readjust. I will check out those iron levels though...thanks for mentioning that!
Unread 04-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Hello!!
I also have been losing my hair. I talked to the nurse at DR office and she said alot of women experience this from the hormone changes. I hope it stops before we're all bald

's Jodi
Unread 04-22-2005, 12:51 PM

Hi Ladies....I'm almost 2 years post op and I noticed I'm really losing my hair too. Especially on the 2 sides of my forehead. I'm freaking out! I got a haircut yesterday and showed my hairdresser and she told me to get off the estrogen! I CAN'T do that! I am doing so great on it since my hyst. I'm on 2 mg. of Estrace and I've been raving about it for 2 years! Is this really from estrogen??? Do I stop the estrogen to save my hair or go bald and have no menopausal symptoms?????? This S----!
Unread 04-22-2005, 01:08 PM

Not too bad this time, I'm just glad it was my eyelashes as it was with everyother surgery
Unread 04-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Hair loss

I'm not sure my problem is from estrogen. I am not on any hormone therapy...I am a high breast cancer risk, so the hotflashes are something I'm learning to put up with. I wonder if it's just the trauma from surgery? I hope so!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.