HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long do hormones stay in the body after ovaries removed? How long do hormones stay in the body after ovaries removed?

Unread 04-23-2005, 02:52 PM
How long do hormones stay in the body after ovaries removed?

Does anyone know how long hormones linger in the body after the ovaries have been removed. Days? Weeks? Thanks
Unread 04-23-2005, 03:10 PM

My doctor said hormones from the ovaries linger for up to two weeks. Stored up hormone so-to-speak.

When starting on my hormone therapy, she said that I'd know any adverse side effects within two weeks, but not all the full benefits for 30 or more days. Hope that makes sense.
Maralyn
Unread 04-23-2005, 03:16 PM

Thank you Maralyn
I am at 6 weeks post-op so I guess that I am out. My Dr. put me on a little bit of progesterone but that is it and I am going to go off it this week. I am 44 and for some reason he doesn't think that I will need anything and didn't put me on anything else. I have no idea why I didn't ask him why he felt this way.
Unread 04-26-2005, 06:58 PM

My doctor told me I wouldn't be able to take hrt due to the fact I had endo so bad when they did my TAH. He said it was the worse case of endo he'd ever seen......and that the estrogen makes the endo spread, so no estrogen for me. So far I'm doing ok without........other than endo, I don't know why they wouldn't put you on hormones.
Unread 04-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Surgical Menopause

At my six weeks check up, I asked when surgical menopause occurs. My DR said that the second day after surgery without HRT is the beginning of surgical menopause. I started HRT immediately, but then I've been in menopause anyway. I don't find any difference. LAVH/BSO 3-11
Unread 04-26-2005, 07:40 PM

I am almost 6 weeks post op from a total hysterectomy and haven't had any symptoms, yet. I plan to go back to work in a few days and am worried that my hot flashes will start when I return to work!!!

Unread 04-26-2005, 07:53 PM

Three days before I was at six weeks post op I mentioned on here that I hadn't had any symptoms. The VERY next day I began having warm flushes and the night before my six week check up I had my very first qualified hot flash. Daughter says I jinxed myself by opening my big mouth. LOL I think how long the hormones stored varies depending on body types and prolly how well your ovaries worked pre-surgery and if you were headed into menopause at all before surgery. I wasn't even close to menopause according to my doctor...I'm a skinny lil thing...and they lasted almost six weeks for me.
Unread 04-26-2005, 08:21 PM

Fat cells tend to make some of their own estrogen, from what I understand; heavier women will have more estrogen in their bodies longer than thin women after hysterectomies. I am small, and started to have power surges a few days after my surgery; full-blown hot flashes began about 2 weeks later.

isewquilts
Unread 04-27-2005, 12:34 PM

I am also small (105lbs) and I started with hotflashes three days after surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.