HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

encapsulated tumor encapsulated tumor

Unread 04-23-2005, 10:44 PM
encapsulated tumor

My aunt by marriage had a hysterectomy on Monday. Everyone thought she had a fibroid tumor, but it turned out that she actually had a large tumor that was pressing on her uterus (which was why the tumor did not show up in any of her scans.)

The tumor did have some cancerous cells, but the whole thing was encapsulated, so nothing had spread. She said her doctor told her that this is only the third time he has ever seen such a tumor. I've told her about hystersisters, and she has looked at the site. I know someone else posted about encapsualted tumors, but can't remember what was told about them. Could anyone enlighten me again?

My aunt did manage to keep her ovaries.

Thanks ladies!

Marta
Unread 04-24-2005, 07:33 AM
encapsulated tumor

Hi Marta,

I'm sorry to hear this about your aunt. I hope she's recovering nicely from her hysterectomy. I hope she is checking out our post-op site
and now, I have a few questions

Was cancer at all suspected beforehand? Did a gyn/oncologist do the surgery, or since it was expected to be fibroids, did a gyn do the surgery? Did they send other organs or lymph nodes out to be biopsied? What kind of cancer did they diagnosis 'it' as? What was her surgical staging? (sorry for asking so many!)

My large (12-14 cm) tumor was also encapsulated, which is definetly a good thing, but a few errant cancer cells managed to set up housekeeping in 2 of the 9 lymph nodes taken for biopsy, thus the need for chemotherapy.

I don't know the details of your aunt's surgery, but if she hasnt' already, I'd recomend her seeing a gyn/oncologist to double check that no further treatment is needed.

Best of luck to her, and please give her a from us here at Hystersisters!

XOXOX
K9
Unread 04-24-2005, 08:08 AM
encapsulated tumor

Hi Marta,

I have to agree with everything that K9 has told you. My very large tumor was also encapsulated...it was about 18cm.very large probably moreso than your aunts, but like K9, mine also had some cancer cells show up in two of my lymph nodes. They were also encapsulated, but I did 8 rounds of chemo. I had a gyn/onc do my surgery so I was very lucky...it was thought to be just a very large fibroid,mostly because of family history. So you sometimes really never know. Make sure your aunt gets all of the necessary questions about her cancer answered, preferably by a gyn/onc.

Best of luck to your aunt and to you and your family.

Love, Sally
Unread 04-24-2005, 08:37 PM
encapsulated tumor

Not only was the tumor not suspected until the surgery, but it covered her uterus to a degree that neither a CAT or an MRI showed it to be a tumor. She'd had to have six units of blood replaced about a month before her surgery, so everyone thought it was just fibroids. Then she had another six during surgery. Actually, there was very little firbroid matter found within her uterus. Samples have been taken and sent off, but they won't know anything for three weeks. She's seen an oncologist since her surgery, but I too would like for her to see a gyn/onc. I don't think I can persuade her though. We aren't real close, but I will mention it to her. She might just want to wait and see what the test results show. I'm glad she is at least seeing an oncologist for now.

She told me that the doctor did check behind all her organs and found nothing else, so we're all really hoping it ends with her surgery.

Thanks for the response. God bless you all!

Marta

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.