2 weeks post-op/confession | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post-op/confession 2 weeks post-op/confession

Unread 04-26-2005, 10:07 PM
2 weeks post-op/confession

Hello sisters...this is my first time to post but have been on site before...I had an abdominal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago today and I'm so worried about my healing because I've done too much. I'm not really having any problems other than the normal stuff that I read about like (little bleeding, tenderness, ect.) however; I drove my kids to school at 1 1/2 weeks and my dr. said I should wait 3 weeks, I do housework that I shouldn't, and I'm getting back involved with my childrens activities. My biggest concern is that other than feeling sore in the evenings, I really don't feel that bad. I know that I should be resting all the time, and I haven't. I am going to really try to give myself a new start and try to take it easy. I hope I haven't caused any future problems......what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Me Too !

I like you felt pretty good last week, and did what I would call light housework, and small driving trips. Last Saturday I seem to have hit the wall. I cut down on the pain med. and increased the Ibuprofen. This week so far I am doing less than last week, and am now starting to worry? I did want to return to work on Monday, but couldn't face it, so gave myself another week.
Today I really did rest, much like when I returned from the hospital. I hope tomorrow I can feel more energetic! .
Unread 04-26-2005, 10:30 PM

lilanne,

I'm glad you decided to post! We are glad to have you join us!

I think you realize that you are probably doing too much too soon and I personally think you are. You just had major surgery and you need to give yourself time to recover. Just because you are only a little sore at the end of the day doesn't mean you aren't possibly causing damage or problems.

We all heal at our own pace. Some ladies recover quickly and easily, while others slower. You should always follow your doctor's instructions.

This is a good article I found in Post-Op Articles that discusses doing too much too soon and the possible risks involved. You can find it by clicking here. For even more interesting post op articles, click here.

Take care of yourself! I wish you the best for a continued good recovery!

s

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2005, 04:39 AM

Hi there.I drove at 8 or 9 days post-op.I have been doing light house work since the second week.......dishes,laundry NO lifting or straining,cooking meals.I think it all matters if you are doing little things and slowly working your way back up to before surgury.
You have to remember that you JUST had surgury and while you feel great at the moment, it may hit you like a ton of bricks at the end of the day.
I rest during the day between chores.Take it SLOW and easy.Don't lift anything over 10 pounds, stretch over your head for anything, no sweeping or mopping, no vaccuuming.REST and drink LOTS of water.Don't over do it, cause as so many have said.......you only have one chance to heal right!!!
(if you're spotting, it's a sign that you have done too much)
call your Dr and get his/her opinion on how much you CAN do!!!
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:02 AM

HI there -

I just wanted to say that I drove at ten days, cooked - did the laundry, went shopping, went out to lunch. ran the kids to after school clubs etc. I also sat down whenever I felt like it.

The fact you are so mobile - is a good thing - you will sleep better, and your circulation will be great - and you are less likely to get depressed if you see your life coming back together.

My surgeon told me I could ride my mountain bike at 10 days - my only restriction really was sex - and not to lift anything heavier than a medium sized chair, or hoover or iron for 4 weeks.
I went tap dancing at 3 weeks post op.

Things always seem worse of an evening (think about when you have a cold) If you had hurt yourself you would know. There would be acute pain and red blood.

Some ladies mention adhesions - and these can be a problem for some post-op - but they are formed by the way your body scabs after surgery (to put it simply) and have little to do with whether you drove your car or did the washing up.

I think the 3-4 week guidlines and warnings are very scary - and quite over the top for the average lady.

The bottom line is - try it, if it hurts stop. (you won't have damaged anything by trying) if it doesn't then carry on and enjoy - and that was direct from my surgeon's mouth

Listen to your body.

Good luck - I hope you continue to make an excellent recovery.

Chicky X
Unread 04-27-2005, 06:53 AM

Hi Ladies,

Here are a couple post-op articles you may want to check out:

Allowed? Not Allowed?

I'm Bored! Do's and Don'ts

Too Much Too Soon?

What is Light Housework?

Checkpoints: Post Op Week 3-4

The Checkpoints/Guidelines are what the majority of doctors recommend for post-op hysterectomy; please check with your own doctor regarding your post-op instructions and guidelines - just because another member's doctor allows certain activities does not mean your doctor approves.

Do not try to do activities that are not within your doctor's recommendations; you CAN cause damage by trying to do too much, too soon. Sometimes the damage is not noticed immediately - sometimes ladies who do too much, too soon have complications that show up months later.

My hysterectomy was a LAVH; my initial recovery was about 6 weeks; it can take many months to be completely healed. I gradually and slowly resumed activities.

So, the bottom line is to make sure you check with your own doctor regarding your post-op instructions and when you can resume specific activities. It's better to be on the safe side than to assume you are allowed to do something and have complications later.

Unread 04-27-2005, 06:56 AM

What kind of housework have you been doing? The heavy stuff (vacuuming, mopping etc.) needs to be done by others. Washing dishes, cooking light meals, dusting etc. shouldn't hurt you.

Remember to ease into your normal routine, and if you have any questions about how much you can do or if you've been doing too much, call your doctor's office and ask to speak to him or his nurse.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tammarree
(if you're spotting, it's a sign that you have done too much)
Some spotting is normal and can occur for several weeks as stitches dissolve.
Unread 04-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks

Thanks so much for all you responses....this is great. I feel much better knowing what all of you did post op. I do appreciate the information and It seems like I'm not too out of control. Your support has reassured me and has brought me back into reality. I think I was trying to be super mom. (my kids are 4 and 7)I'm not going to lift or pull anything and I will rest most of the day. The spotting is almost gone, but I guess that comes with the healing. Thanks to all
Unread 04-27-2005, 09:31 AM

I too have been up and moving since my TAH on the 4-14-05. I am not driving yet, but will be on Monday - back to my normal routine with my two DDs. My DH has been wonderful and doing most everything around the house for the past two weeks. He makes it look so easy . I started doing the laundry today - No Lifting a full basket! I feel sore at night but one pain pill at night seems to help me sleep.

Point is - I know when I do too much because I get sore and swollen, and then I rest. I e-mail my doctor if I have concerns and he gets right back to me. I am taking time to heal and that is a great thing. The most important thing is that I am no HERO - I take a pill if I need it and rest when I need it.

Listen to your doctor and your body! Good luck to all the princesses.
Unread 04-27-2005, 09:38 AM

lilanne,

Small world...I too had my TAH 4/12 AND I live in Kingwood! Did you have yours at Kingwood Medical Center?

I was told NOT to drive until my post-op check up on May 2nd. I cheated yesterday and did drive down the street to the gas station, but had to bribe my son who came with to not tell anyone. It was a short distance, but it was enough of a drive for me to know that I won't be doing that again at least until next week after my follow-up. As careful as you can be behind the wheel, it's the other people on the road that you have to be careful of. What if you were in a fender-bender? That seatbelt, I found out yesterday, sits right on your incision area. I am sure you do not want to have to go back for repair work if you were in an accident. I know I wouldn't!

I feel a bit better every day, but have to remind myself that I am still healing and it will be a while before my insides feel as good as they should. I am reminded everyday by the kids and my SO to not do a lot of things like filling the dishwasher, sorting laundry or anything else that requires bending or stretching.

Please listen to your doctor and don't do anything to disrupt your recovery or you will regret it later on. Take this time to be pampered and relax, you deserve it!

Bcnu999

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register