HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Scar Tissue Pain? Scar Tissue Pain?

Unread 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Scar Tissue Pain?

I had my full hysto jan31st 2005, its just going to be 3 months but after i got my 6wk release. I tried to walk on the treadmill and had pain two days later. I went to the dr and he said i just over did it and that i was doing fine. Well now its going to be 3 months and i still have the same pain. I walked alot on saturday at a parade and two days later the pain came back. So yesterday i went to the emergency room and the er dr told me that it could be scar tissue. And he told me i needed to go back to my gyno dr. But i feel like hes going to tell me theres nothing wrong with me again. The er dr. Was right about one thing, he had asked me if i had done alot of walking recently and i had gone to the parade on saturday, he said sometimes scar tissue pulls on the muscles and this can cause pain. But can i have scar tissue this soon?? Maybe the endo did come back? Im just so frustrated, i come home in a bad mood and always taking my pain out on my boyfriend. The only thing im on right now is 5ml of norethindrone but nothing else. Well except hydrochodine. But thats defeating my purpose of being pain free. Please, let me know if this is common and if it can be treated or if its something that keeps coming back. How do they know its scar tissue?? Xrays?
Unread 04-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Scar Tissue Pain?

I had my TAH/BSO on 12-21-04. I have the same pains. Right now my incision area hurts enough that I have to take 800 mg of Motrin OTC to take the edge off the pain. If I do nothing all day its not so bad. But, when I try to get back to normal stuff like up and about doing cleaning, walking, working out in the GYM I hurt so bad It just about bring tears too my eyes. My GYN said I was healing and I was fine too. That it could just be some scar tissue forming and continue to do what I am doing and it will get better. I know my DH tired of hearing me complain. I guess I just have a low tolerance to pain or something. I don't know what to tell you but I like to hear from those that had pain 3-4 months after and what they did for it? I had Adeno/Endo.
Boneta
Unread 04-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Scar Tissue Pain?

Thank you so much for your info, i have an appt next tuesday at 1130am with my dr. I will go crazy if he tells me there is nothing wrong with me. I endured two yrs of pain with endometreosis for me the end up feeling the same way!! After i had my surgery i couldnt wait to feel better, but it seems like im back where i started. Why did you have a hysto?? Well what ever i find out on tuesday i will be sure to let you know and thnk you for sharing this with me.
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Scar Tissue Pain?

I could just say "ditto" to Boneta's reply. I also went to the doctor and was told adhesions. I'm alittle ahead of you.. TAH/BSO Dec 1. The adhesions I'm told, start to form right away because it is a part of our natural healing process. Mine were there in the begining on both sides...my right side is now pain free but my left side is horrible! I don't want to take Motrin for the rest of my life and sometimes it doesn't even make a difference.

I can't find anything on the net about adhesions that will tell me what they feel like except, "pulling sensation". Mine burn deep, pull kind-of, and hurt only when I move. If I lay still and push all over my left side with my fingers, I don't hurt. I can lean over to the right while sitting in my chair and it will hurt like crazy but when I repeat that movement 2 or 3 times it stops hurting. Nothing makes sense.

My doctor told me not to baby it, to work through it. I'm telling you, it ruins each day! If it wasn't for this never ending pain, I'd be great! I also had endo and adeno. the only way to see adhesions is to do a procedure to look inside. That will also cause more adhesions! Some have gone back in for surgery to remove them...but mostly it comes back. I'm still hoping I have something else...even endo would be better than this. I could go off the HRT and starve the endo out!!

So, tomorrow I start on month 6 post op. I'm not a happy camper because of this. Please, if you find out any info from your doctor let me know. I sat down here tonight to do some more reading in hopes learning something. I do know it's common to have adhesions but not everyone feels the pain of them.

I understand your frustration and worry,
Take care,
Maralyn
Unread 04-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Scar Tissue Pain?

Hi again, like I said earlier, I was on the net tonight looking for information. Here is a site I found; www.generalsurgeryinfo.com/ard.html It was not very comforting. Please stay in touch.

Best regards,
Maralyn
Unread 04-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Scar Tissue Pain?

I had my TAH/BSO for severe Adenomyosis and some Endometriosis, lots of polyps and afew fibroids on 12-21-05. Most of my pain is in the right side to the middle. Only thing my GYN said basically, is its Scar tissue forming (Adhesions) and some people are more prone to them than others as far as the pain and how much you get on the growth. He told me to take Motrin OTC for it. I should have known about adhesions, since my Mom has had 3 surgeries to remove her adhesions in the past 25-30 years. My GYN also said just push through the pain and continue to do the Gym and exercise and do all the normal things I did prior surgery.
Boneta
TAH/BSO 12-21-05
Unread 04-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Scar Tissue Pain?

Maralyn, thank you for your reply, im starting to get discouraged because i can already tell im either going to have to learn to live with it or have another surgery.but from what i understand adhesions will come back??how am i suppose to resume a normal life if i cant even include walking as a normal daily routine??maybe the pain goes away after time?? Well all i can say ladies is i feel your pain, and its sad. Before i had my surgery i was so excited, i couldnt wait to do all the things i couldnt do anymore. Just like pushing the grocery basket at the grocery store pain free!! And i can do that now, i just thought after 2 yrs of not being physical, i could start working out again and loose all the weight i gained (40lbs). But it seems like anykind of physical activity is not on my adjenda. I was on hydrocodine for two yrs and i could wait to stop taking it, on my last visit to the dr. He told me to just keep taking the ibprofin 800 mls 3 times a day.but i can go through a whole bottle of that in about 7 days. But thank you for the email and the web site i will let you ladies know what the dr tells me on tuesday.
Unread 04-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Scar Tissue Pain?

Ilsamarie and Boneta...so we've all been told it's adhesions...but I'm still hoping the doctor is wrong. She did check for hernia, and said there is no old hematoma. I'm still wondering about traped nerves or something with a ligament...just wishful thoughts I guess.

Question: with your pain do you feel burning? Do you feel the pulling that is so common?

Boneta, my doctor also says to work through the pain...sure...but is that in hopes of breaking the scar tissue which would help to get rid of it? Or....when it hurts are we tearing more stuff and causing more scar tissue?

Makes me want to drink the adhesion barrier fluid so no more adhesions will stick. Did you read now they think a 2 week dose of celebrex at surgery time will prevent adhesions?

Did either of you have the adhesion barrier liquid or cloth applied? I asked...begged...for it but my doctor said it wouldn't do any good. But what would have been the harm??

I...like you two...just don't want to live with this. Please both of you keep in touch incase we learn something. On this site on "the Road Less Traveled" are the women 6 months or longer post surgery who have left over problems. There are quite a few who are living with adhesions....seems like a grim future.

Will wait for your Tuesday post ILSAMARIE.

maralyn
Unread 04-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Scar Tissue Pain?

Hey Gals,

I have no idea if we have a similar thing, but when I heard the phrase "deep burning", all I could think of was my own debilitating nerve pain. My gyn said oh that's normal, you're healing fine--but I wasn't. It took another dr to diagnose the nerve pain (very identifiable: burning, searing, and sometimes also stabbing) and although he said, "I have no idea why, although it's obviously from the surgery", he did prescribe a nerve drug (okay, it's really originally for epilepsy) called Neurontin.

Let's just say it's a miracle! Also the large doses of B vitamins (two B-100s a day) are helping with nerve repair. Unfortunately nerves are notoriously slow healers, and even after 2 months on the drug, I still occasionally--when I walk really fast--feel a slight dull burn; two inches to center and two inches down from the left pelvic bone.
Unread 05-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Scar Tissue Pain?

Maralyn,
I also have the deep burning sensations and pulling sensations too. What I was referring too about the pain is a pain that is deep and painful that is at time enough to bend me over or stop me in my tracks kinda pain. It comes and goes. It is mostnotable when I have been up and around doing more normal physical stuff like cleaning house, out shopping too long or just up on my feet all day. I just pray it will go away.
Boneta

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.