HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Panic attacks Panic attacks

Unread 05-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Panic attacks

I have had them for 15 years - none for the past 3 - scared that hysterectomy/hormone changes will cause them to return. Anybody out there suffering from panic attacks since surgery, or had them prior to and gone now? My friend says hers are gone post op........
Unread 05-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Panic attacks

I have been suffering from panic attacks for about eight years now. I had agoraphobia and couldn't leave my house for six months straight. I have been getting help for them for the last four years. I take Klonopin and Paxil. I have been slowly getting better, but now with this cancer scare and having to get a hysterectomy they have been getting worse. I'm sorry that you get panic attacks too. I don't know if they get any worse after a hysterectomy because I haven't had one yet. But I think that under these circumstances we can unfortunately expect our panic attacks to get worse.
Unread 05-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Panic attacks

I had my hysterectomy in May, 2004 and had the ovaries removed in January, 2005. I've suffered from panic attacks for almost 30 years (I'm 38). After the ovaries, were removed my attacks have been gradually getting better. I take cymbalta which has helped a lot with the depression that is often associated with the attacks. I believe that my attacks were triggered by my cycle because, even with HRT, they have not affected me like they usually do. Hope this helps.
Unread 05-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Panic attacks

My friend in Calgary said hers are gone, too. I think that I come closest to them again during PMS - which is elevated since I am on the pill and still get it due to endometriosis and adenomyosis. So, maybe without that I will be all better. Do you take hormones at all? Most of my friends do not???????? They are going to start estorgen patches and such due to osteoporosis but no moody reasons. I was petrified to have my ovaries removed, but GYN says they are the problem.
Unread 05-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Panic attacks

I have suffered panic attacks for years. they began after a very serious car wreck and got worse after a robbery that I was in.

Mine have been so bad that they caused a mild heart attack. I have been doing alot better over the last year or so, or at least I think I am. I no longer wake up from a sound sleep terrorized.

I take zoloft, xanax, ativan and blood pressure meds to control the physical effects of the attacks. I haven't taken much ativan in the last several months so I do see an improvement.

I guess if panic attacks stop after surgery, then they would have to be associated with the medical condition. I never even though about it before.

It would be nice if once my hormones are in control the panic went away! I guess at this point that would be a bonus.
Unread 05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Panic attacks

I have suffered from anxiety for years (PTSD) from seeing a murder as a teenager. I am on xanax for it which I take twice weekly. I did have an attack in the hospital twice and had to take my xanax and I have had one since coming home. Make sure your doc is aware that you have this disorder so he can be prepared if you do have an attack. I was dumb and didn't think to tell them that I suffer anxiety and sometimes require meds for it so I had to suffer while my sister went to the car to get my medicine. Doc said why on earth didn't you tell me? I was like duh brain fart. I guess I was so involved with surgery prep that it totally slipped by me that doc didn't know.
Unread 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Panic attacks

I have had panic attacks since my 20's and I am now 55, had my hysterectomy in Sept, never felt better and I also had agoraphobia the whole 9 yard, not fun but I can honestly tell you I read a book called Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer and God free'd me of this crap and it really is a mind thing that is brought on by something usually tramatic and you learn to be fearful of the panic itself, its all so goofy, you can get delivered from it if you want though, you really need some heavy prayer and God will hear you, the surgery will be great and you will be very glad you did it, I have never felt better and my biggest fear was having a panic attack at the hospital, but just think about it what a great place to have one, which you wont, I promise you can get better, its up to you... Love, D

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.