HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

When can one ride a bicycle? When can one ride a bicycle?

Unread 05-06-2005, 04:17 PM
When can one ride a bicycle?

hi sisters...

I have been wondering when one can start riding a bicycle now that it's summer. I hit 2 months post op on 5/15th. I know I will miss a lot if I wont be able to ride a bike this summer.

Please advise!!!!!!!

thankx,
Lunar
Unread 05-06-2005, 05:57 PM
when can I ride a bicycle

Hi,

I was told at my 6 week check up ( when I got the go ahead to resume all activities) I specifically asked about riding my bike as I love riding in the summer. My Dr. told me I could start riding when I felt like it but to keep the first few rides short. I haven't ventured out on my bike yet because the weather hasn't been the greatest here in Ontario. As soon as it warms up, I'm heading out to bike ( just have to watch for bumps!)

KAT1962

Abdominal hysterectomy, bladder repair, kept ovaries
March 11, 2005
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:09 PM

Hi Lunar,

I am also a cyclist, but I am not a gonzo cyclist. I do pretty gentle riding, though I can do some long rides -- they just take longer at my speed

Here's my story -- I had a pretty easy recovery and did mostly walking until...

3 1/2 weeks after surgery did a gentle neighborhood ride to check myself out. Did about 2 miles and felt that the pedaling and leaning forward did not stress anything. Cool Biking actually was easier than walking -- much smoother.

4 weeks after surgery we went to the shore and did a LOT of walking -- probably about 4 to 5 miles on each of 2 days. This was tiring, but did a lot of lying around on the hotel bed, too.

4 1/2 weeks after surgery did a flat bike ride of 35 miles. This was probably insane, but I really felt fine. I had a lot of support and felt that I could ask for a ride back at any time. The whole ride with breaks probably took about 5 hours. The biking was on smooth roads and paths -- no bumps.

5 weeks -- I was back at work 1/2 time and at 6 weeks full time.

I am not a mountain biker, but even if I were, I would not have felt comfortable to do that kind of riding, since jostling was still a bit uncomfortable for several months.

My surgery was exactly one year prior to yours. By the end of May last year, I took a long weekend and enjoyed day rides with my friends. I think I did a 35 mile ride, a 22, and a 37 mile ride.
The rest of my summer, I was pretty much OK, though I think I needed more rest stops and early bed-times.

I think I was lucky to recover so well -- listen to your doctor and your own body. You'll know when you're ready.

Good luck and enjoy your bike.

s
Unread 05-07-2005, 04:39 AM

KAT1962 & knighbb1,

thanks alot for your feedback. This is really a relief to know I will be able to ride my bike soon.

I will surely avoid bumpy roads and of course mountain rides.

knighbb1, you pretty got cycling quite early. I am so impressed. You're my inspiration!

KAT1962, I hope you get a warm weather soon in Ontario. We have great weather here, ideal for cycling

Take care
Lunar
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:03 AM
bike riding

Well, I am one of those middle-aged women you read about that is trying to stay young I went for a short bike ride at 4 weeks post op, waited another week because it was uncomfortable, then went back at it in earnest.

I was riding 15-20 miles by 8 weeks. I think the reason it was uncomfortable at first was because of the recotocele repair, not the abdominal stuff.

Also both my plastic surgeon and the gyn surgeon told me I could resume my normal activities, but to ease back into it.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway