HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

numbness in both legs after surgery numbness in both legs after surgery

Unread 05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
numbness in both legs after surgery

I think I must have first posted this in the wrong area, so forgive me repeating myself.

I had my hysterectomy on May 4, 2005. The surgery went well and that part of me feels great. When the nurses tryed to get me stand for the first time, I realized that I had no feeling in both of my legs. They feel like they have fallen asleep and cannot wake up.

Neurosurgons were consulted and thought that a nerve (probably L5) had been stretched during surgery.

No one would give me a straight answer of how long this would last. Everyone kept saying IF, not WHEN, it would go away. If I still have the problem in 3 weeks, I should call the neurosurgeon.

thanks, Donna
Unread 05-08-2005, 08:04 PM
hope is better already

to the world of post op support!

I am so sorry you are facing this worry now. I have read a lot of posts about women having numbness in the thighs, legs, etc after surgery. If I recall correctly, the numbness resolved itself with time-usually within a month or so.

I think if you have questions and concerns, you would be wise to write them down and call the doc and ask that they be answered more clearly. It could be that they have seen this before and it resolves itself. If they are saying 3 weeks, I would guess they expect to see improvement within that time.

I know it is hard, but know that you can come here and get a anytime from your Hystersisters.

Unread 05-08-2005, 09:38 PM

Hi, DJP!

I, too, had numbness following surgery. Mine was mostly in my right thigh, and eventually it got better. It was very odd; I could run my hand over the area and feel it, but after touching it, it always had the pins and needles feeling like it was going to wake up, but didn't right away.

A lot of times the numbness is caused from the positions they have you in during surgery. Hopefully, the feeling will come back to your legs, too. It is a gradual thing.

Good luck!

Dee
Unread 05-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Hi Donna,

I was numb in both legs, too. I'm two weeks post-op today and still numb in my right leg from upper thigh to below the knee. It's going away gradually and hopefully yours will too. My doctor thought it was caused from the extra fluids in my body or from the positioning of legs during surg. Makes me wonder just what that position was???

Good luck with your continued recovery. Hope it helps to know that others have had similar problems.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.