HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 05-11-2005, 08:44 AM
sit-ups?

Ok, how does a person go about doing situps when she cannot do even one?

I was trying so hard to do situps last night. My whole family is very active in sports and physically fit. They were all trying to help me

All we succeeded in doing was having everyone rolling on the floor laughing at me

I am sure that if I could just do one, that then I could do two and eventually back up to 100/day.

After 5 c-sections and the SAH, and years of not having enough energy to do any more than I had to, I apparently don't have a single abdominal muscle to my name.

Any suggestions? Now that I am feeling so good, I want to get back in shape and be as healthy as I can get.
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:05 AM
sit-ups?

Are you sure you should be doing situps? I do light stretches (2 months post surgery as of Monday) and walking. You might call the doctor's office and ask.

Then start slowly. You can have your partner slowly AND GENTLY help pull you up to a partial position, going a bit farther each day until you can do it on your own.

There's a lot stitching down there remember. And there's no hurry! Getting better is the first prioritiy.
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:21 AM
sit-ups?

If your DR has released you to do sit-ups, I would start with crunches instead. The best way I've found is to get one of those big exercise balls and do them on there. It saves your back and you can start with little crunches and then work up. I don't know that I'll ever do regular sit-ups again. You can get the ball at Wal-Mart or Target and they aren't very much money.
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:29 AM
sit-ups?

They say crunches are better then situps. What does everyone else think?
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:32 AM
sit-ups?

Start with leg lifts - flat on back, lift leg off floor about 6 inches and hold for a count of 10 (up to 20) sucking in tummy at same time, lower and do other leg... try doing both at the same time but that one is a lot harder. start with 5 reps.... these are hard to do ad work the lower abs. Don't forgte to stretch afterwards same position on floor - raise arm over head flex foot on same side and tthink of having a rope pull on foot and arm - stretching your entire side of body. (hold for 20).. repeat other side and then center with BOTH arms and legs...

for upper abs - a modified crunch (bent kness, don't come all the way up just raise head and neck from floor and hold for 10 sec building to 20 -- repeat starting with 5 and increasing as comfortable.
Unread 05-11-2005, 10:35 AM
sit-ups?

You'll get there, just be patient with yourself. It is good that you all can laugh!
My doctor cleared me for sit-ups at 3 weeks, but I had a LAVH.
Take care, and good luck!
Shari
Unread 05-11-2005, 12:26 PM
sit-ups?

Best starting point is to lay on your back. Bend knees up. Place feet ahead of knees. Hands behind your head. You are now going to pull in your abdomen and press the small of your back to the floor-now hold for a few seconds. This is the start position for what will come later. The next level will be to pretend you have an orange under your chin, hands behind your neck, supporting your head. While pulling in the abds and pressing the small of your back to the floor, lift only your shoulders off the floor. Do not pull on your head. Let your head be supported by your hands. This is a basic crunch.
Unread 05-11-2005, 12:33 PM
sit-ups?

Agreed - crunches! I just put my calves (from my knees to my toes) on a chair or the coffee table. Here is the technique:
Ab crunches can be performed anywhere:

Starting Position:
Place your hands crossed on your chest and lie flat on the floor with your knees bent. By bending your knees you're providing your lower back with support. You can also place your hands behind your head if you prefer, but this position often leads to poor posture and unnecessary strain on your neck. In other words, you also end up cheating by lifting yourself using your arms and neck rather than your abs.

Performing the Exercise:
Slowly raise yourself using your abs, with your lower back always pressed against the floor. Raising your lower back will put unnecessary stress on your back. There are many exercises specifically for your lower back and remember, the abdominals create the exercise. Following the same method, slowly lower yourself.

Sets:
Try 4 sets of 24 with a short rest in between. The great thing about abs is that they can be exercised every second day or on consecutive days depending on your time and workout schedule.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.