HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fibroid Sisters- How much weight did you lose after surgery? Fibroid Sisters- How much weight did you lose after surgery?

Unread 05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Fibroid Sisters- How much weight did you lose after surgery?

HI Ladies:
I haven't gotten a copy of my surgical report yet, but my surgeon told me that with tumors on both ovaries, a very enlarged uterus and MANY very large masses I was the size of an advanced pregnancy.

So....
I was curious to get on the scale now that everything is out and see how I was progressing...even though I am still swollen...

HOLY CRAP!

Since my top weight when I was at the worst part of my fibroid/mass ordeal--- a few months back-- to today now 2+ wks post-op..... I have lost 20+lbs! I'm amazed--and VERY happy!

...I guess until you actually have the surgery and see the difference you don't understand how much was really wrong!

I mean I knew cause I felt sooooo sick and lumpy and none of my clothes fit.......... but I guess the size of it just hit me today when I saw actual weight associated with the removal.

Now when I think back over the last few years, I am SO HAPPPY that I didn't listen to all the idiot Drs that just kept telling me I was just fat and that it was all my fault.....I am SO glad that I had the good sense not to listen and to know in my heart that something was terribly wrong--which it was!

I was wondering since many of you also got large uteruses and fibroids, etc removed-- how much weight did you drop?

Boy if I needed validation for doing the surgery ....stepping on that scale sure gave it to me today-- 20+lbs of uterus, ovaries, masses and tumors--good bye forever!!

C
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:41 PM

checking in with 10 lbs lost!
Was hoping for a little more, but I'll take it!
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:46 PM

I have lost so far 10 pounds and my surgery was 2 weeks ago! It is a good feeling indeed I'm not sure if mine was from everything taken out, or just that I'm not eating as much and no junk food? but I'll take it regardless

I had thyroid cancer and complete removal of my thyroid in 1999. Since then I gained approximately 85 pounds and I know what you mean about doctors...I know some of it is my own doing, but I'm also sure that a lot of it has to do with all these diseased parts in me and I say goodbye to being sick and hello new life

s
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:46 PM

As far as I know, after 9 months, my weight is back where it was before. I've put back on that 1.38 pounds I lost from the fibroids.

No matter, there wasn't anything wrong with my weight before. If anything, I'm leaner now, since I'm able to be more active. My pants certainly fit better now that the fibroid-then-swelly-belly is gone!

Take care.
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:49 PM

Not near as much.
I was almost 7 pounds lighter, but more important, I lost 2 pant sizes.
I think alot of mine was water too. It seemed I retained alot of water when I had those nasty organs in there.
Snickers
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:56 PM

I've lost 21 lbs. since surgery (6 weeks out) BUT....only 6-7 lbs. of it was the uterus and my huge fibroid "Alvin the Alien."

Some of the loss was water weight for me to, because my left leg was swollen to 2.5 times the size of my right leg right before surgery. Some of the loss was due to eating very little for a week in the hospital, and not much for the first 2-3 weeks at home.

I have also lost 2 pant sizes, though, and can now get into jeans I haven't been able to wear for years!!!

Adios, Alvin!
Unread 05-13-2005, 08:06 PM

12 lbs lost here. I went down a size.
Unread 05-13-2005, 08:45 PM

I lost 3 pounds the first week post-op, but found them back this week!
Unread 05-13-2005, 09:56 PM

Three weeks out, still 10 lbs down. Actually hoping more if this belly would stop swelling!
Unread 05-14-2005, 06:57 AM

I've lost 7 lbs. since surgery...doc told me my fibroid-filled uterus was a little over a pound. I notice that my stomach is flatter (despite swelly belly in the evening) and I actually have a waist again! I tried on jeans yesterday that were tight in the belly before surgery and they aren't tight anymore! My doc said I would lose 2 pant sizes from the removal of my uterus, but I hope I can lost about 10 more pounds.

Best wishes!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.