HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

fluid pocket found after ct scan fluid pocket found after ct scan

Unread 05-18-2005, 09:51 PM
fluid pocket found after ct scan

I had a total hystorectomy on 5/12/2005, the surgery went well except for a burning sensation on right side of my groin. Had a CT scan that revealed a fluid pocket inside, but might or might not have to do with the burning. They are talking about draining using a radialogist to perform the procedure. Does anyone have any info or have gone through it? I'm lost and confused on this one.
Unread 05-19-2005, 01:17 AM

Hi there,

You just got home! I had burning really bad on both sides. At two weeks my doctor said I also had pockets of fluid. She meant it was normal for fluid to be there after this major surgery. The fluid is surgery stuff and lymph fluid. She said it would eventually work its way out. The fluid did go away slowly. My burning did clear up slowly on my right side but my left side still burns but the area is reducing.

I found that the burning was separate from the pockets of fluid. The fluid was painful but not burning. Everyone is so different.

The only draining I've heard of is for abcess or a hematoma.
Call the office and ask more questions. Meanwhile, maybe someone else will jump in here you has had experience.
Best regards,
Maralyn
Unread 05-24-2005, 12:56 PM
I have a drain

Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. I had my TAH on 4-5-05. I was diagnosed with a hematoma the day after surgery. We thought that it would resolve on its own. On 5-11-05 I had an interventional radiologist put a drain into the hematoma. Mine had continued to grow since surgery. I was asymptomatic to the hematoma. A few of the warning signs are: additional swelling, pain, fever, bleeding. I started bleeding vaginally at around 5 weeks post op. I called my doctor a few days later and he sent me to the ER (I was out of town). They did a CAT scan. My Dr. wanted it drained. The drain was suppose to stay in for 10 days, but it had not resolved enough so I still have it in. I will be repeating the CAT scan and some other dye x-rays to determine if it is gone next week. If not, I may have to have surgery to fix the problem. My hematoma is also open into the vagina, that is why I am getting the discharge from it. My drain was put in thru the butt cheek due to the location of my hematoma. It was done in the CAt scan room with minimal pain. I hope this helps a little. If you have any more questions, please let me know. I will pray for a speedy recovery for you.

Sue
Unread 05-26-2005, 09:17 AM

Hi,
I had some swelling on my left side about 2 wks post op, turned out to be fluid. I was lucky that the dr waited and eventually it was reabsorbed. Heather
Unread 05-29-2005, 08:24 PM

I was very happy today to find this thread. I had my TAH May 9th 2005.
My recov has been absolutely great up until May 25th, when an aching right hip/groin pain showed up and has been hanging around ever since.
I've been almost panicing over this weekend -- I'm just dreading going back to the hospital.
Lymph/fluid drainage makes perfect sense to me...!
Wow.
I hope to talk to my Dr tomorrow and see if we can sort it out, but in the meantime...more fluids, (water, herb tea), no caffeine, and no sitting which seems to aggrivate the groin area.

Fingers crossed...because I've been so careful and so good.

Kay
Unread 06-20-2005, 02:35 AM

HRPB98:

Wow! Sounds like we had similar problems. Wasn't that drain in the butt cheek just awful? That's where mine was also. My abcess was located at the top of the vagina where they had placed the mesh which connects to the ligament that runs across the sacrum (to hold the vagina up).

I went to the ER last Sat, 5/11, was admitted, and just came home today, 6/19. I was in the castle for 8 lousy days!

I would like to describe my symptoms-not to be gross-but only to make you ladies hyper-aware of what happens when you have a post-op infection.

I was 5 wks post-op, feeling good, no pain (finally!), and just had a scant discharge. Over a period of 3 days, my vaginal discharge became quite heavy and totally changed in color & consistency. It turned yellowish-green and was malodorous. It looked like pus, (which turned out that is exactly what it was). I also had a temp of around 100, a nagging headache, lost my appetite, and had mild chills one night. By the time I got to the ER the next day, I had SEVERE pelvic pain & excruciating pain in my right thigh! I was convinced I had a blood clot in my thigh! On a pain scale of 1-10 (and I think of 10 as being natural childbirth) - this pain was a 10.

My white blood cell count at the ER was 40,000 (normal is 5,000-10,000). An MRI disclosed the abscess. I had the drain placed the next morning. This should be on "Fear Factor". Since I was on a dilaudid pump which was dripping continuously, I was told they would not be able to give me much anesthetic. I only received one dose of fentanyl & a local so they could stitch the drain in place-they said anymore might OD me. It was so painful I was actually screaming and crying into my pillow. They placed the drain in my right butt cheek where the tubing went into my pelvic area. The dr. did not want to place it in the front for fear of interfering with all of the repairs I had done. They attached IV tubing to the drain which ran down my leg and collected in a bag (YUK!).

I was on IV antibiotics, pain meds, and fluids. No fun. Am now on oral antibiotics for the next 10 days.

So, anyway ladies, even if you are recovering nicely, and are 5 wks like I was, please do not take any of the symptoms of an infection lightly!

I would like to mention here that I had SEVERE post-op pain for three solid weeks. Weeks two and four I had a CT scan where they DID find a fluid pocket. My surgeon was not concerned, he told me my body would absorb the fluid. Well, of course, I was among the 1% where this did not happen. My fluid pocket turned into a raging abcess...
Unread 06-20-2005, 09:02 PM

Hi everyone,
Sorry Beetlenut, hope you are doing better.
I still have pain in my abdomen it feels like menstrual cramps. and its worse when going to the bathroom. I have been having a discharge for about 3 wks now, my doctor says it a natural drain. still has me concerned. I will be seeing the doctor again this week.
Can't wait to feel 100% better.

Haydee
Unread 06-20-2005, 09:58 PM

My swelling will not go down. I went and seen my GP doctor a couple of weeks ago. He doesn't think that this much swelling is normal. I live in a small town so we don't have CT or even ultrasound. He ordered some blood work and x-rays. He think it could possibly be endo in my bowel. He ordered another shot of lupron, thinking that if it helped with the swelling, the endo is in my bowel. It hasn't made a difference yet. I hope it doesn't because I don't want the endo to be in my bowel. I would like to know if it is normal swelly belly or not. I don't think I have a fever but I get hot flashes from the lupron that I have been on for 4 months+. I have been having abdominal pain off and on. I also have kidney stones so I am thinking the pain could be from them. My gyne has been on holidays. I am going to see him on Friday and I am hoping that he can straighten this out for me. Good luck girls. I hope that you are all feeling better.
Kat
Unread 09-05-2005, 12:46 AM

I too had a hellish experince with abcesses. After hearing your story I don't know what's worse. Putting up with all of the severe side effects of having abcesses or going through the process that you have gone through to remove the abcess. I guess either way you'll never be on the winning side. Hope things are better.

Busy O Me
Unread 09-05-2005, 03:56 AM

Hi, funny that you all are discussing this. My pain got so sever tonight that Dh had to take me back to the ER. They ran the usual blood and urine and a CAT scan, they were concerned that it might be my appendix. Turned out just to be a fluid pocket like you have been discussing. He said it was very small. I am still in a great deal of pain. Should I follow up with GYN on Tuesday or do these things go away on their own. I am so tired of all this pain. And now my hormons have gotten worse then ever. I really don't know how much more I can take of this. I thank God I found this group, I would be so lost w/o all of you.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.