HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysterosonogram Question Hysterosonogram Question

Unread 05-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Hysterosonogram Question

I'm scheduled to have a hysterosongram in about 10 days in which saline is injected into the uterus. I have a golf-ball size fibroid and my doctor wants to see if my polyps have returned or if I have more than the one fibroid which he suspects I do.

Surely some of you lovely sisters have had this done before your hysterectomy right?

I will be having it done in my doctor's office that morning and he told me to take some ibuprofin about an hour before I arrive for my appointment.

My question is how painful is this procedure and after it's done, were you still in pain for the rest of the day? Only reason I ask is that I absolutely have to and want to go to my son's high school senior awards ceremony later that day and I can't possibly miss it as he is going to be honored. Will I feel okay by later that day? Or should I cancel the appointment and make it for the following month?

I really would rather keep the appointment just to get it overwith and if I need surgery I could get it done this summer.
Unread 05-23-2005, 02:12 AM
Hysterosonogram Question

Hi Diane

I’ve never had a hysterosonogram (also called sonohysterogram) but I wanted to share some links which mention the procedure. Hopefully a sister who’s had this will be along soon.

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/content/hysterosono.htm

http://www.virginiamason.org/dbFertility/sec180640.htm

http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/co...ams_hyster.asp

Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 05-23-2005, 05:58 AM
Hysterosonogram Question

Thank you Beth. Those sites were very informative. Hopefully, I'll be just fine to go about the rest of my day following the procedure.

I'd still be interested in hearing from those who have had it done, though; and I welcome any more advice. Half of my problem is just worrying about it! LOL!
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Hysterosonogram Question

Hi Diane:

I had a hysterosonogram while meeting with my reproductive endocrinologist. I was trying to find a way to avoid a hysterectomy, so I started seeing him. He specializes in fibroid removal so that women can get pregnant in the future. When I told him about my lemon sized fibroid, he wanted to do the HSG to see exactly where the fibroid was, and he'd be able to do so when the uterine cavity was filled with the saline.

I had the procedure done in the morning. I took some ibuprofen beforehand as I was told that there could be some mild discomfort and cramping afterwards. He was able to do the HSG and could determine that my fibroid was too embedded into the uterine wall and could not be removed vaginally. My options were an abdominal myomectomy (removing the fibroid only and retaining the uterus), a TAH, an SAH, or an LSH. I opted for the LSH and had it done on 1/5/05.

The procedure is a little uncomfortable, but nothing compared to childbirth or bleeding/cramping with a period. I had some slight cramping afterwards and took a short nap when I got home. There was a slight bloody discharge afterwards (from the cervix) and I continued to take ibuprofen afterwards. I think you'd be fine to go to your son's award ceremony later that evening, but it just depends on your pain tolerance level. I used to be a big baby when it came to pain, but since having children, my pain tolerance is much greater now. I would liken it to bad menstrual cramps and nothing more.

Feel free to pm me if you like. I hope I've answered your questions!

Lori
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Hysterosonogram Question

I've had 2. The first one I forgot to take my motrin BIG mistake.

This time I remembered and the doc that did it was great. I was all freaked out because of my other experiance. But this last time it was nothing, very VERY little cramping for me. I couldn't believe how easy it was.
Unread 05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Hysterosonogram Question

Thank you both for so much insight! I've had two children with very, very, long labors; several abdominal surgeries; so I would say my pain tolerance has been pushed to the limit with that and I'm sure this procedure will not even begin to compare to those.

Depending on where and how many fibroids I have, my doctor told me that he could do the NovaSure procedure if I'm a candidate...so I'm hoping my fibroids are not too deeply embedded into the uterine wall.

Thanks again for all your help!
Unread 05-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Hysterosonogram Question

Diane,
Novasure only works on fibroids that are smaller. I tried Novasure and it failed for me. I'm glad I did as I wanted to try everything possible before going to a hysterectomy.

You may be able to do a hysteroscopic resection. This is done vaginally and they go in and remove the fibroid. Then, they can finish it off with the ablation. This was my first option; however, the fibroid was too embedded to be able to remove it that way.

Good luck! It's a trying time, especially trying to decide what to do next. It'll all work out.

Lori
Unread 05-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Hysterosonogram Question

Diane99
I've had one of these procedures and can't stress enough to take something beforehand. I wasn't prepared at all and the technician was very surprised that I hadn't been instructed to do that. Afterward I took Advil liqui-gel migraine (400mg!) and had a nap. Within 4-6 hours I was feeling pretty good and the cramping/slight flow had wrapped up.
I echo the opinion that you should be ok for your event.
Enjoy!

P.S. It confirmed the presence of my fibroids (the largest of which is now 4cm) which I'm having removed by hysteroscopic myomectomy on May 31. Can't wait!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.