Mini-Period! What does the "mini" refer to? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mini-Period! What does the "mini" refer to? Mini-Period! What does the "mini" refer to?

Unread 05-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Mini-Period! What does the "mini" refer to?

Hi!

I was wondering - after reading about this mini period when you keep your ovaries:

Is it the length of time or the amount of junk?
I do believe I am having one - feelin' kinda jipped - but can't complain!

Alot of you girls have dealt with so much more and I am grateful for you and this site!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2005, 06:22 PM

I havent had these, but, I believe that its because they are short, and not much blood. From what I understand its just a pantyliner, and a couple of days. ??
I know girls here have them, so maybe someone who has had one can help you out.
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:47 PM

Mine's definitely a "mini" in terms of time and amount.

I used to have some sort of bleeding/discharge for 14 days but only about 7 days of actual bleeding (requiring tampons with pads).

Now I have three or four days of a little pink discharge. I wear a panty liner but haven't actually messed them much (I keep forgetting but haven't had any accidents).

But again, it all depends on your hormones and how much endometrial tissue may be left in the cervical pouch.

It's hard to know until you've had three or four full cycles whether or not it's a mini-period. My first "mini" was much bigger, but that could have been from recovery things like old stitches dissolving.

Mine have definitely lightened in the past few months. Be sure to talk to your doctor about it when you have your next post op.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Mini-Period

Hi sisters!!
Is the first time I participate, but I have being reading a lot of usefull information and chatting. I'm from Equador, Latin America. I'm 39 (almost 40) and have a TAH (04-20-05) because of excessive bleeding and they found after surgery I had adenyosis, one ovary was left.
I wanted to share a worry with you and maybe you can help me. I've being bleeding on and off the last 2 weeks and this makes me really nervous, I may have a kind of trauma with the bleeding experience, but I would like to know how you can stablish a difference between mini periods and something more serious?? Also I'm not feeling very well yet... when you start feeling like back to life??
Thank you for sharing so kindly your personal experiences.
A big hug to all of you!!!!
Misahualli
Unread 05-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Hi Misahualli, I hope we can help.

If you've been bleeding, I hope you can call the doctor and ask.

If you had your cervix removed, which is a total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH), even if you keep one ovary you shouldn't have a mini-period.

It's not uncommon for granulation or other small stitches dissolving to cause some bleeding in the 4-6 weeks or so after surgery.

But any bright red bleeding, bleeding that soaks more than a pad in an hour or bleeding along with pain should be reported to the doctor right away.

Also, if you're noticing that you bleed with certain activities, you might want to avoid them until you're healed a bit more.

I hope that helps. Take care.
Unread 05-25-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juniper
Hi Misahualli, I hope we can help.

If you've been bleeding, I hope you can call the doctor and ask.

If you had your cervix removed, which is a total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH), even if you keep one ovary you shouldn't have a mini-period.

It's not uncommon for granulation or other small stitches dissolving to cause some bleeding in the 4-6 weeks or so after surgery.

But any bright red bleeding, bleeding that soaks more than a pad in an hour or bleeding along with pain should be reported to the doctor right away.

Also, if you're noticing that you bleed with certain activities, you might want to avoid them until you're healed a bit more.

I hope that helps. Take care.
Unread 05-26-2005, 12:26 AM

After having experienced them myself, I actually think they should be called "micro preriods". I had LSH on 1/28. Every 28 days I feel the hormonal changes in my body leading to a period, but I only get a few "speckles" of brown blood mixed with clear discharge for about two days, and only a few times each day. The flow never makes it to my panties -- only shows up when I wipe myself with toilet paper. Needless to say, this is really a non-event for me, particularly after the relentless bouts of hemorrhaging before surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register