HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Staple removal after TAH/BSO Staple removal after TAH/BSO

Unread 05-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Staple removal after TAH/BSO

Hello,

I have a question regarding staple removal from the incision. I had my TAH/BSO on Tuesday. (Yeah, it's finally over) Anyways, one of the doctors assistants told me that I needed to go back in today, which is 3 days after surgery, to have the staples removed.

Is this normal time frame for their removal?

I just feel it is too soon.

I appreciate any help on this.
I am a bit and to boot.

Thanks,
Kristi
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:09 AM

I know it sounds scary but its fine, and I had mine taken out on day three as well. I also had two c section with staple removal on day three. All the inside layers are sewn shut including all the fat, so really the only part the outside staples provide is the thin layer of skin, and its sealed already. I know it sounds scary but it will be fine, also it takes a lot of the pressure off having those things removed, no pain either ,good luck
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:32 AM

My surgery was on Monday, staples out Thursday morning before I was sent home. As the staples came out, steri-strips were applied. I returned to the doc's office a week after my release from the hospital and the last of the steri strips were removed.

I didn't feel much when he took out the staples - maybe a little pressure but no pain for sure. When he pulled the last of the strips off, it hurt because he pulled a belly hair - I hate band-aids too because they always grab hair.

When my doc took out the staples, he took out half of them and waited a few minutes. Seeing no ooze or problems, he applied the steri-strips and then took out the other half of the staples, repeating the process.

I believe that under those staples are some amount of internal stitches, in most cases. So, it's not like you're going to fly around the room like a balloon (a joke that my doc and I shared as he was removing staples... he says "let's see if I let the air out of you" as he removed the first couple) when they're removed. They won't take them off if your skin isn't ready.

Unread 05-27-2005, 10:25 AM

All of the women at the hospital i was at had there staples out the day they were discharged which was just 3 days later. I didn't have staples, my Dr used Dermabond glue on my incision after my TAV/LSO. I don't know why more Drs. don't use the glue instead of staples. You do have hundreds of internal sutures inside that i've heard take a while to dissolve.
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:40 AM

I had mine removed in the doctor's office one week after surgery. It did not hurt. The he put on the steri strips and I was told to keep these on for ten days and take them off in the shower that it would be easier.

Good Luck,
abby
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:58 AM

Hi

I had mine removed on day 3 or 5 (can't remember) but I thought it was way too soon. I queried this and the nurse told me that they like to remove them as soon as possible as they can get infected.

I didn't feel a thing and they covered the incision with a dressing.

Take care.

Unread 05-27-2005, 12:19 PM

I had mine removed in the drs office on day 5 and they placed steri strips on the incision. I never had any problems, but DH watched me like a hawk-he was more afraid than I was that the incision would open!
I did just fine, steri strips came off on about 10 days, and skin was healed.

Cindy
Unread 05-27-2005, 12:47 PM

I think it is pretty normal, my surgery was Tues. a.m., and my staples were removed Fri. a.m., just before I left for home!
Unread 05-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Hi Ladies,

I went this morning and had them removed. It felt really weird, but I now have the glue and Steri-strips on the incision.

Thank you for all the input. I was really worried about the removal. It just seemed so fast.

Now I am gonna rest and relax. Walking really took alot out of me. I just went from car to building and then to another building and then back to car. Dh made sure to pull car as close as possible so I wouldn't need to walk much.

I will go now. s to all,
Kristi

TAH/BSO due to Endometriosis on May 24th, 2005.
Unread 05-27-2005, 01:36 PM

My staples were removed 8 days post-op. I didn't have any steri-strips put on. My incision was just about closed except for one little spot.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.