HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Fast growing fibroids Fast growing fibroids

Unread 06-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Fast growing fibroids

I'm new to this so please bear with me. I had an ultrasound 10 months ago for heavy bleeding & there was nothing, was told my uterus was perfect, had another
ultrasound end of April again for same. I was told large fibroid & went to see gyn, who said my uterus was at 14 weeks, am booked for tah because of size. Has anyone else had any experience with fast growth of fibroids? This has got me terrified that it may be cancer. Gyn could not do an endometial biopsy because my
cervix was too small & tight, said he would have to put me in hospital to do it.

Am also freaked out because I was told
a five month wait for hyster, & was notified yesterday that I go in in six weeks, and I just had surgery on both knees on Monday. Yikes and double yikes.
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Fast growing fibroids

hi there skystorm

i had a tah bso almost 5 years ago...i had been told i had "some" fibroids (had many ultrasounds) but post-op my surgeon told me my uterus was just a "bag of marbles" full of fibroids in addition to undiagnosed endometriosis...

i had regular ob/gyn visits and more...

i have to tell you, although i struggled with the idea of surgery...i feel so much better (almost 5 years post-op)...it was the best decision i ever made...

i don't miss the tampon/pad runs!

marie
Unread 06-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Fast growing fibroids

Hi Skystorm Popppy,

I also had fast growing fibroids. It freaked me out about the possibility of cancer. My Dr. did reassure me that only 1% of uterine fibroids are cancerous, so that made me feel better.

I had my hyst and it turns out, my Dr. said I had very healthy fibroids...not cancer.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 06-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Fast growing fibroids

Hi

My one fibroid grew from nothing to the size of a melon within 6 months. I was told that there was a less than 1% chance of it being cancer.

Everything was absolutely fine! And so it will be for you.

Unread 06-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Fast growing fibroids

Skystorm,

It's also possible the fibroid just wasn't seen in the first ultrasound. My fibroids grew quickly also. The ultrasound said I had 4 but when I had my hysterectomy there were several more than that and my fibroids had fibroids. Cancerous fibroids are pretty rare so don't fret about that.
Unread 06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Fast growing fibroids

I will add my reassurances to the other sisters. I had a fast growing fibroid which went from nothing to orange size in 6 months. By the time I had surgery 2 months later it was cantelope size. Doctor said only 1% are cancerous and mine were all benign. Doctor told me the reason they wanted to go ahead and do surgery was because the rapid growth was putting pressure on my other organs causing pain. Probably the reason your surgery was moved up instead of a concern about cancer.
Unread 06-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Fast growing fibroids

Try to hang in there until after you get the pathology report from your surgery! I worried too.

I had a normal pelvic examination the summer of 2003. I started having symptoms in January of of 2005. I had a sonogram in February that showed 4 Fibroids....they ranged in size from the size of a quarter to the size of a baseball.

My unterus continued getting larger until my surgery on May 4th. The doctor was surprised because it was larger than she had anticipated.

One week after the surgery the pathology report came back. I had more than 4 fibroids all over my uterus and they were all huge. None of them were CA.

Best wished to you! You won't know for sure until after your surgery....but you are taking the steps needed to deal with whatever is going on.
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Fast growing fibroids

I was in the same position you are in just 1 month ago. I had a small knot in my lower abdomen about 2 months ago. 2 weeks before my hysterectomy on May 25th i was in the emergency room b/c I could feel a large mass in the same place. It had grown to 15cm in a short time. I ended up having 3 fibroids. 2 that were very large and 1 that was just starting to grow. My doc was concerned about cancer as well b/c of the fast growth. They did a frozen biopsy at surgery and everything was benign. I also had my staples out on Tues. and she had the pathology report there and it was all okay. They found a little endo as well. Hang in there you will be fine. The time before surgery is way worse than the surgery or the time so far afterward.

Good Luck to you...... try to get in for your surgery sooner. The waiting is the rough part.

36, TAH w/ vertical incision(41/2"), 2 large fibroids (15cm and 11cm) and one small one, No symptoms ???, kept ovaries.
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Fast growing fibroids

Hi Skystorm...

You might find this information helpful. I've also listed the website where I found this.

Quote:
What is considered a "fast growing fibroid"?

There is no fixed definition of 'fast-growing' for fibroids. There is also no data to support the concept that a 'fast-growing' fibroid is more likely to be a cancer than any other kind of fibroid. A research project comparing the incidence of sarcoma in fibroids labeled 'fast-growing' and those not so labeled found the same low incidence of sarcoma in both groups.

http://www.hopeforfibroids.org/faq1pg7-discoveryandbeginresearch.html
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Fast growing fibroids

Yes, I had one to grow fast. I started with only one fibroid a few years ago and then I ended up with three. During that time my periods got worse and worse. I tried the endometrial ablation for the heavy bleeding last summer. Was hoping to wait out the fibroids until menopause, as they will shrink. Ablation only worked for a few months. I started bleeding every two weeks in January. In March, I had an ultrasound, went thinking it was ovarian cyst. Usually in the past you could see all 3 of my fibroids. This time you could only see one, actually it was all you could see on the screen, one big one. He couldn't see my ovaries because of it. Anyway, it had grown since last summer from golfball size to grapefruit and it had started pressing on my ovaries and my bladder. I had a lot of pain. I searched a lot on fibroids and only a very very small percentage ever turn out to be cancer. I scheduled my surgery and decided not to wait mainly because I think mine was still growing and it only made things worse. Had a TAH on May 18th. One fibroid was grapefruit, one softball and don't know the other. Just glad they are out!

I haven't been told the pathology report yet, but for some reason it hasn't bothered me. I really think that when they cleaned out my uterus during the ablation, that my fibroid got more blood supply and started growing. That's just my opinion, kind of makes sense since that is what they need to grow. I really think that if your DR thought it could be cancer you wouldn't have to wait so long to have your surgery. Good luck to you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway