I am scheduled for a SAH tomorrow and now I'm feeling as though a cold is coming on....I'm about to go for pre-op testing but has anyone ever experienced this? I really don't want to postpone, and I usually don't poay too much attention to cold (just plow through them--I am not one to take a break). Obviously this is a little more serious then a busy work day. Any advice out there?
This happens to a lot of people. It's always my worst fear. As long as the cold doesn't get into your chest you should be okay. Just let them know when you go in. The anesthesiologist will listen to your chest anyway, if s/he hears anything rattle they may postpone.
Let you doctor be the one to decide what to do. If I remember correctly, my doctor wanted to be informed about colds, but was more concerned about fever than a regular cold. Anyway, this really needs to be you doctor's call.
I got a cold a week before surgery and I was really really worried. Didn't go to my chest but did alot of coughing due to drainage. They said they wouldn't cancel as long as it was just in my head.
I will warn you though, after surgery coughing was H---! I think it caused more secretions and I coughed up alot of stuff. They had to do a chest x ray and everything. Wasn't fun. It was one of the worst pains the whole time I was in, had to make sure I did all my hard coughing soon after my pain meds.
I am glad I didn't have to cancel,but be careful it is not in your chest at all.
Good luck. Tiffany