HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

can cyst turn to cancer and if cyst is removed can it come back? can cyst turn to cancer and if cyst is removed can it come back?

Unread 06-02-2005, 10:23 PM
can cyst turn to cancer and if cyst is removed can it come back?

I wanted to know if I get my large fluid cyst out how likely can it come back? Will I have to keep checking the ovaries once its out?

My cyst which is large has been there since december, can it stay there forever? My doc just but a follow up on it for August.

Thanks!
Rene

I do think I will get it out soon as I have lost 10 pds and I eat a lot and am housebound 90% of the time at least. My OB didn't really care about the weight!!!!!
Unread 06-03-2005, 07:24 PM

s Rene

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having to deal with all of this. I never had cysts, but I do know that they can return after removal.

What does your Dr. say? Is he recommending removal or taking a "watch and see" approach.

Let us know.....

Unread 06-05-2005, 08:08 PM

Hi Rene,

I'm no doctor but...I believe it depends on the type of cyst it is, as to whether it's reoccuring or not. If you don't know what kind it is, ask your Dr. or get copies of your ultrasound reports, then start looking up the 'name' for it on this site and others, and by all means, ask your Dr.

I have a large (small pineapple) fluid-filled cyst on my right ovary. It is a 'mucinous' cyst. Two docs and my research have indicated that it will not 'reoccur' in the same place once it's removed, and likely will not reoccur on the other side as these types tend not to do so - they're something of a 'freak' thing. Other types of cysts have different characteristics so it's important you know what you have and be well-informed about the possibility of reoccurance.

Based on what I now know where my 'symptoms' before diagnosis, I've had this thing for over two years (and my Dr. did not diagnose it in spite of it's size), but I didn't have any problems with it except getting a bigger belly and some 'discomfort.' It was not until it became large enough to be affecting other things 'down there' (i.e. decreased bladder capacity, digestive problems) that I really knew something was there, since it's compressing all the other stuff in the abdomen as well. I know there's a 'wait and see' attitude with cysts of this type, but I'd really think about that.

I'm a good case in point. Had my cyst been diagnosed earlier, before it became a monster, it could have removed with a less invasive procedure, like a laprascopic technique or with a bikini incision. In my case, it's now so large I have to have a vertical incision just because of the size of the thing. I'd give ANYTHING to have had it removed when it was smaller. I would have had a less obvious scar, probably lesser recovery issues, and I also would have felt a whole lot better, a whole lot sooner - as opposed to having carried this 'pregnancy size' thing around with me all this time.

The other danger of a fluid-filled cyst is rupture (you don't want that), or 'torsion,' where they twist. I'd ask your doc about both of these things, and if he can't answer, go to someone who can. I also understand that fluid-filled cysts can grow in spurts, sometimes rapidly - mine is doing that now - so you can't be sure it will stay the size it is forever, or grow slowly.

As said, I would give *anything* to have had mine out before it got this big...The surgery would have been just as scary to me two years ago as it is now - but at least it would have been over and probably wouldn't have been such a major thing.

By the way, my cyst was totally asymptomatic - no pain, no nothing. If you are having pain with this, I would definitely press the doc for answers.

Are they suggesting removing just the cyst? Just curious.

Don't mean to scare you or suggest impending surgery that you obviously don't want (I don't want it either!!!) but I wish I'd had this site and someone to tell me this two years ago.

Good luck...feel free to PM me if you'd like. Not a bunch of us out there with the fluid-filled things.

Jordan L
Unread 06-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks Basketneut and Jordon

Yes he said wait and watch. Actually he said lets take it out I said no cause he said he (onc) doesn't thinks its cancer so we are waiting.

I am only 38 and live alone and sick for 6 yrs. So I thought its not worth it if it isn't cancer. Like I get out only 40 min a day if I'm lucky. NO movies or dinners nothing.

Yes Jordon I am thinking of what you said makes sence. Maybe it could get bigger but it did get smaller in Jan but March ultra sound saw no change.

I'm sorry for what your gonna have to go though. My cyst give me no trouble at all as I have gained weight due to my illness and so its not a big deal.

Rene
Unread 06-06-2005, 03:13 PM

Rene,

If you are not having problems with the cyst - and if you have other health issues - I can see where you would 'watch and wait.'

I actually haven't had any problems with mine either, up until now...not an ounce of pain, ever, which seems remarkable to me. Like you, they don't think mine is malignant, so hopefully that isn't an issue for either of us.

Mine's just gotten to the point it's shoving all the other organs around...that plus the size of my belly...so it's worn out it's welcome with me!

Good luck and please let me know what happens with you!

Jordan
Unread 06-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Jordon

Hi where are you from? I'm from Sacramento and have Kaiser. I saw that your from Ca too.
Rene
Unread 06-11-2005, 09:00 AM

If it is a simple fluid filled cyst and you drained it- it could come back. If you remove it- it is gone. It can be watched forever. All references I have seen say they do not convert to cancer and are not thought to be the cause of malignancies. In the UK simple cysts are watched for 1 year and then the woman is dismissed from having to watch any longer. There is an arbitrary size cut off at which surgery is recommended. Some references will say 5cm. Here in the US the recommendation will very much depend on the doctor. Mine was hot to do surgery. Wish I had had a second or third opinion. Since my surgery I have met two other women with cysts like mine was who have doctors with the watch mentality. This would have suited me better.

Keep in mind that with the development of technology we now have more information to consider. Ultrasound has led us to the knowledge that a high percentage of women are walking around with simple fluid filled cysts and that these cysts sometimes hang around for years. Many of us are menopausal. In the past this information was not available and any lump or bump was a cause for concern. With the available technology there is the opportunity to have a pretty high level of certainty with what is being looked at prior to surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.