HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How do you know if you have prolapse? How do you know if you have prolapse?

Unread 06-06-2005, 09:51 AM
How do you know if you have prolapse?

I hope I don't get embarrrassed to death by asking this, but how in the world can I tell if I have prolapse? Dr did not say anythign about this but I feel something in there and it feels like somethign that has fallen into or is being pressed down into the birth cannal (or vigina). It has always felt like this when I was pregnant. I carried very low with both boys. Right now, it feels like having a tampon in or something in there. I can push on it and it goes up and feels like I feel it in my bladder.
My Q is will they fix this if it falls in or they see if going to prolapse ? Or will they just do the TVH and then see what happens and have me go through another surgery later? Should I be asking him this? We never talked about it because I didn't feel this hanging down feeling (dropping out feeling) at the end of May. Is it just the uterus getting larger? I look in the mirror in the morning and without the puffiness (it gets worse as the day goes on but I wake up pretty thin again), I am still kind of lean but look like I am about 3 months pregnant right there. I was showing at about 2 or 3 months with both because I had a condition where you have too much amniotic fluid. When my water broke both times- my belly went WAY down before the actual birth. First boy was 6.15 and one month early. Second was 9.2 1/2 and about right on time. Things went back to normal pretty much with both BUT
And here is the next Q- are they going to do an episiotomy? A cut to enlarge the vaginal wall? I had SO MUCH trouble and pain with the two I had to get them to heal. I dont relish the thought of a third !
Unread 06-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Hi Fireman's Woman,
Here on Hyster Sisters, there are no embarassing questions! I'm constantly amazed at how free women are to exchange symptoms and personal information that I wouldn't share with my best friends. Somehow the fact that you'll never meet face-to-face seems to help with that. I'll try to answer some of your questions, but need you to provide more info for some of it.

Regarding prolapses - there are a variety of ways women know this. If you or your partner insert your fingers into the vagina you may feel the cervix hanging down low or sometimes it is visible if you look with a mirror. A cystocele is a bulge from the front and a retocele is a bulge from the back. Sometimes women have to insert their fingers and 'splint" the area to have a BM with a rectocele. Women frequently have stress incontinence from a cystocele. That is when you leak urine when you cough, sneeze, or exercise. Not all stress incontinence comes from a cystocele though. You need to be able to tell your doctor if you even suspect these. Don't feel uncomfortable - trust me, he's heard it all before and a whole lot more. He should examine you straining (like you're having a BM) and may need to examine you in different positions. My first DR would not do a full exam even though I was insisting I had prolapses. After learning about them here I went for a 2nd opinion to a urogynecologist, who did the most thorough exam I've ever had. Urogyn's have special training in pelvic floor issues, so are a great idea if you're having any problems in that area.

Not sure what you mean about puffiness. A prolapse shouldn't be causing puffiness that gets worse throughout the day and then flattens out at night. Are you referring to something else?

As far as an episiotomy, not sure what issue you're thinking would require one. It is unusual to need one with a vaginal hysterectomy or with prolapses. It just depends upon what is being done and why. If you've had two children, and unless your uterus is huge, you most likely won't have an episiotomy for a vaginal surgery. Some women with rectoceles have them, most do not.

I want to really encourage you to talk to your DR about your concerns. While we can happily give you generic info, your DR needs to see you and do a full examination. And I personally encourage 2nd opinions. I would never have had a successful outcome with my first DR. Good luck to you as you approach your date.
Ashley
Unread 06-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok here is some more info...

I put out a note to my friends about the site so they can read my posts without having to ask me for updates on how I am feeling. So if any of you are reading this- you are a VERY CLOSE FRIEND ! Or I would not have trusted you with this site info or given you my user name. You are privy to my very rational and irrational fears.
Ok, this is gross- forgive me- but if I put a finger there on the front of the wall just inside , I can stop urination. No matter how hard I try to keep urinating- it stops until I take my finger back off. It does feel "bulby" sort of but no pain. If I press way up outward toward the front of my belly, I feel a real pressure on my bladder. Yes, on the trampoline, I leak. Sometimes when running too. I only run a little though. Sneezing- one friend and hubby knows this- during Florida vacation, we went out to dinner and I had to go back and change- the direction got my pants. It was very upsetting and trying, but everyone with me just laughed it off and hubby helped me laugh too. It is NOT easy to urinate right now either. Like it is all sitting on top of my bladder.
I called the Dr and they said to write everything down I can think of and he will go through it all at PreOp on Monday and we will have the time to see what he will do and also they will finish all my tests. I feel SO MUCH BETTER after telling them on the phone I have so much to ask and say to him. Younger son helped me and he was all pat-pat "Mom, it will be FINE. You will see !" and that helps me out so much.
You know what I think? All my life, I have been "the strong one" and it is rough to acknowledge that for the first time ever- I AM IN NEED. Real need of help. I guess being deaf makes you defend yourself like you don't need anyone (but I know I need the LORD ! and hubby and sons. and everyone else). Perhaps I just needed to be taught a harder lesson about it.
But the best feeling is that I never really understood till now-
I will be helped by everyone around me and I can be weak for once. Maybe that is it "I am weak, but thou art strong" God wants me weak for once so he can make me strong.
I am here taking a break from my much-loved mowing. Never had to do THAT before. It is taking me all day what normally is only a couple of hours- or less. So I look forward to getting my life back !!! It took this to make me see how bad it is getting. I am getting all kinds of support. Keep it up people- I will NEED YOU !
So much love to you all !
Unread 06-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Hi fellow Hoosier

It's so easy as women to put ourselves on the back burner and place everyone else first. It's good to hear you're taking control. I don't consider it so much a weakness as it is concern for our well being. I'm glad to hear you've talked with your dr's office about what you're experiencing. Be sure to write down everything you can think of before you go in on Mon. That way it can all be covered and you'll feel much better.

It would be so much better to get things fixed now than have to go back later. I'm hoping your dr can figure out what's going on for you and that it can all be repaired, etc when you have your surgery.

Sending you big and lots of
Unread 06-06-2005, 12:04 PM

Fireman's Woman,

Don't be embarassed to ask - this morning I was going to as the same question about how to know if your have a prolapse. So - thank you. You'll read it all here anyway!

Jmt1955
Unread 06-06-2005, 12:28 PM
I see you had a TVH...

THAT is my main worry ! If I have anything else (prolapse or whatever) will they have to do ABDOMINAL ? I am supposed to be TVH and HOPE to keep it that way (and my ovaries, too, as planned) !!!
Having anything else fixed NOW is my ideal !!! But I hope to have it done without cutting me open abdominally. I am getting so much support since I mailed to my friends this site and to look at my postings. I feel ALOT better and a TINY BIT less scared. Plus, they said I will get to talk to the anesthesiologist and make sure of what I want- to wake up in RECOVERY. So this is helping me alot. Plus- this is all things I CAN HEAR !!! See, I needed to READ it all and I am and that is SO HELPFUL ! GOD BLESS THE INTERNET AND THE WOMEN OUT THERE WHO ARE HELPING ME !! (Ok, and men, too)
Unread 06-06-2005, 02:44 PM

If you have any prolapses, they can be fixed vaginally as well as abdominally. I had a tvh with a & p repairs and have done just fine.

s that all will go well for you too. Hang in there....we're here for ya!

Blessings

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.