HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Prolapse bowel and bladder Prolapse bowel and bladder

Unread 06-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Prolapse bowel and bladder

Hi sisters

I can't believe how many women are suffering still even after their ops. I wish my doc had told me that my cerivx was useful as a stubb to keep the rest in place!

I saw a new gyn last week. My old one is supposed to have retired but I think he was shying away from me! He said that my bladder and bowel are slightly prolapsed. There is a lump coming down and you can't see my vagina anymore! I did get on the floor with a mirror - and coughed like the doc told me to. I couldn't see much (cos I couldn't reach!) but I could see something purple ish - assuming that is my bowel?

Well I thought he would just book me in and sling them up, or whatever it is they do. But, he wants to do a lap first. I should have a press stud fastener on my belly button! I am fed up with surgeries and I thought by having the tah/bso that would be the end of the endo and the end of all the treatments. Wrong! He also wants to do something called urodynamics???
Question:
In the meantime, my belly is the biggest is has ever been. Even bigger than the dreaded swelly belly. Is this normal?? I have a lot of pain, especially on the right hand side. On Sunday it was so bad I nearly took myself off to A & E. But it eased, thank heavens.

I can't get any of my clothes on at all now, even the bigger ones I bought after the op. I've given most of my wardrobe away to my son's skinny girlfriend!

I hope all you sisters get some relief and soon.
Take care all
hugs
Sue
xx
Unread 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Swollen abdomen

Hi Sisters

I think maybe my subject title is being overlooked! So I've bumped it up with a repeat of my concern. Sorry! But I really need to know if anyone has a very swollen abdomen due to their prolapse?
Mine just seems to be getting bigger and bigger! I'm not eating much either, enough to keep a bird alive really.

Thanks in advance
hugs

Sue
Unread 06-08-2005, 03:20 PM

I have a rectal and bladder prolapse. My belly is swollen...I'm going on 7 wks. post tvh, so I dunno if the huge belly is from the surgery or the prolapses.
I am NOT electing to have any further surgery at this point...I'll deal with the annoyance of "something in the vagina" and stress incontinence.
Urodynamics testing is for the bladder, to check on incontinence, prolapse etc.
Good luck!!!
Unread 06-08-2005, 03:26 PM

Hi ladies -- I'm in the same fix, though I haven't been back to the ob/gyn yet. I, too, have foreign bulges into my vagina which I am assuming are bladder and rectal prolapses. I'm considering asking to be fitted with a pessary, but I AM SICK OF DOCTORS-- I THOUGHT THE HYSTER WOULD BE ALL I NEEDED...AUUUGH. (I like the concept of a tummy zipper or snaps -- easier access for when things go wrong). Hang in there...
Unread 06-08-2005, 08:21 PM

I wish I could attribute some of my belly to the prolapses, but I've seen no change after the surgery. The cervix issue is really controversial. Some say it makes a difference and others say it doesn't. The new DR may be wanting to do a lap to make sure your vaginal vault is properly attached to the ligaments. I read about this prior to my surgery when my DR told me that was part of the process she does. You can see how it works by clicking here. It makes it easy to see how this is helpful, but the site is not for the squemish - it has actual photographs.

Don't worry about the urodynamics test. They just hook you up to a catheter and pump you full of fluid to see how your bladder reacts. You'll have to cough and bear down so the DR can see if anything leaks. You should always have this done prior to any stress incontinence repairs. Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions. Good luck as you continue to seek answers.
Ashley
Unread 06-09-2005, 03:01 AM

Hiya Jonan, Tammy, Ashley

Yikes your right about those pictures! Looks gross doesn't it! Those docs must get sick of the sight of it!

Thanks for your replies. Some days I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by trying to get this sorted out. I noticed quite a few sisters are prepared to live with theirs. I think, maybe I could, except I used to have a very close loving relationship with my DH, and this is stopping me from being relaxed or anything like that when I am near him! Its hard enough for me to cope with and I can see it affects him too. Also, but for the pain in my side. Some days it is quite disabling. I wonder what it could be to cause so much pain. It's also sometimes right accross my abdomen but mostly on the right. At first I was worried that it was the return of endo, but I am not taking any HRT, although I have for a total of about six months on and off before realising it didn't agree. This may sound strange but I hope he finds something wrong there - just so he can put it right!

I have decided to measure my abdomen from today and keep a little record. I'm not kidding when I say swollen, it's massive!

Hang in there sisters
thank heavens for this site
hugs

Sue
xx
Unread 06-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Thumbs down - Prolapse bowel and bladder Prolapse bowel and bladder

Hi, So sorry you're having such a difficult time. Best wishes and stay well! Melanie
Unread 06-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Smile - Prolapse bowel and bladder Prolapse bowel and bladder

Thank you

I have measured my belly just there and it has expanded by 6 centimetres since this morning when I measured it! It feels like its gone up about 10 tho! Funny this, if you measure sitting down it's even bigger - extra 5 centimetres or more!

It's got me stumped this belly thing

hugs to all
Sue
x
Unread 06-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Thumbs down - Prolapse bowel and bladder Prolapse bowel and bladder

Hi Sue, What does you're Dr say about this problem? I hope he is working with you to find the right medication and or treatment? My Dr said in a few years I can expect to have a full bladder repair and hysterectomy. I hope you find some answers soon. Take good care! Melanie:doggie
Unread 08-11-2007, 03:50 AM

Hi am exactly same I had hysterectomy 2001 now I also experience bowel and bladder problems the last 2 years no one tells us we can expect this,I am now awaiting to be admitted into hospital for bladder tests dont we go through alot us women ,no one tells us anything its reading forum like this we understand more I am so fed up of pain yet again,it was bad enough with periods and the hysterectomy to put that right.Anyone may contact me to say how they feel and know that they are not alone .

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.