HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What are the things on the legs? What are the things on the legs?

Unread 06-10-2005, 04:13 PM
What are the things on the legs?

Hi sisters.. I have been reading about the things on the legs during and after surgery.. What are they for? Do they blow up and do they hurt? I was just wondering.
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:21 PM

Hi Jamie,
I'm not sure what the specific name is, but they are leg compressors. They put them on before surgery (at least they did for me) and they inflate and deflate to massage your legs to prevent blood clots. It actually felt kind of nice. A little restricting at first, but I had them on for about 24 hours so I got used to them.

The nurses took them off when I wanted to go for a walk that night and then put them back on before bed.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery! It will be behind you soon!

Frasier
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Think of them as your personal massage treatment while you are in the hospital. They put them on me, but didn't plug them in, while I was in the room awaiting surgery. Apparently they plug them in/turn them on during surgery and they massage your calfs to prevent blood clots from forming and traveling to your lungs, heart, etc. I was told to wear them whenever I was in bed in post-op as well. All told, I wore them for 3 full days while in the hospital. Eventually, they get a little annoying, but for the first 36 hours or so, they really felt nice! :-)
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Hi Jamie,

They're compression devices meant to keep the blood circulating in your legs to prevent blood clots. They alternate inflating and deflating on each leg. I was so out of it I thought they were rather annoying. I remember waking up during the night and thinking my leg was swollen, then the thing deflated...

A lot of women like them because they feel like they're massaging your legs. They don't hurt at all.

sss
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:46 PM

I didn't have the inflatables...I had TED hose - I don't know who Ted is, but his elastic sox helped keep swelling/clotting down while I was immobile after surgery.

While my Mom was visiting after I returned home, she dashed off to some local store's "As Seen On TV" aisle and picked me up a set of the inflatable leg wraps. She was concerned because I have a lot of vericose veins and I was laying down so much at first.

The home version of the compression wraps is a bit noisy - I tend to stick the pump under my pillows so I can hear the TV while I let them do their thing.

I still use either the TED (They came home with me) or the wraps in the evening if I've had a long day on my feet. I may be past a year post-op, but I still pamper the princess when I get a chance!
Unread 06-10-2005, 05:23 PM

I don't want those things on me!!! They told me today they would put them on. But I tend to have panic attacks if things are constricting my body. Even the oxygen mask is going to cause me problems. What am I going to do??? I know they have to do these things, but fear of being constricted/confined is an extension of my claustrophobia!! I can't help it!!!
Unread 06-10-2005, 05:35 PM

I would like to let you all know the compression inflatables and the Ted Hose also work on another system in the body.

The Lymphatic system is similair to the circulatory system except it doesn't have a pump to run it. Your muscle contractions operate as pumps for this system.

When you are stuck in bed and unable to get up your lymph fluids pool in their location, causing swelling.

The compression machines and the Ted Hose help eleviate some of this fluid build up and push it back up the leg.

I know cause my husband has Lymphedema due to paralissis in his leg. He wears special Ted hose made for this problem that are thicker and stronger than regular Ted hose.

Ces.
Unread 06-10-2005, 06:17 PM

I didn't have anything on my legs after my surgery. They just told me to move my legs around occassionaly. I didn't even have that breathing thing, I was just told to cough.

Tori
Unread 06-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Morningrain, I have panic attacks too, and this is the first I've read about the leg compression devices! Now I have another question to add to my list for my pre-op appointment.

I'll say a little prayer for your peace of mind. For me, this is stressful enough without the added pressure of worrying about a panic attack!

Thanks to all the Princesses with your information. You all are wonderful!
Unread 06-10-2005, 07:30 PM

I personally loved the leg compression thingies. Felt like a massage and wasn't really "constricting" at all. They were attached with little Velcro tabs - so easy enough to un-do
when I had to get up to use the bathroom or walk, etc.

I did not have the TED hose - but had them after I had hip
surgery 9 years ago. Those are WAY ANNOYING!! But, if
it prevents complications (like blood clots) I couldn't argue
too much!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.