HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Cranberry juice/bladder question Cranberry juice/bladder question

Unread 06-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Cranberry juice/bladder question

While reading through post I came across one which said not to drink cranberry juice because it irritates the bladder, is this true?

I had been avoiding sodas and drinking only cranberry juice and water. I started getting a itchy rash and thought maybe it was the cranberry juice so I switched to lemon/lime gatorade and water, the rash got better, but my bladder pain became worse.

Any thought and/or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-10-2005, 10:30 PM

((Johanna))

If you've got an inflammatory bladder disease like IC then cranberry juice is a real as it can irritate the already inflamed bladder even more. However, it's a very useful drink to take to stop bacteria attaching to the bladder walls to help prevent UTIs in someone with a 'normal' bladder.

It's interesting that you tried a carbonated drink instead as this too is extremely irritating to an IC bladder. It's one of my worst triggers.

Have you had your bladder pain checked out by a urologist?

Unread 06-10-2005, 11:06 PM

I'm not sure, however I would bet theres citric acid in Gatorade. You might want to check--this might explain the worsening bladder pain.
If you like Gatorade and/or drink it for its rehydration benefits (ie--after a workout) you could always water it down..1/2 H2O, 1/2 Gatorade.
Also, have you tried PRELIEF? Its a supplement that helps neutralize the acidity in foods. It can be found at Walgreens.
stay well
diana
Unread 06-10-2005, 11:46 PM

I had a lot of bladder problems post-hyst, and I gave up all juice and drinks except baby pear juice (diluted), tea, and water. I take CranActin pills, that have cranberry extract, and also something called Continence, which has cranactin in it as well. I'm much better now.
Unread 06-11-2005, 01:33 AM

Usually whenever I have a urinary tract infection, I drink plenty of cranberry juice and it helps. There is an over-the-counter medication called AZO that helps. You should be able to find it in Wal-Mart. It will turn your urine a bright yellow color--you may want to wear a panty liner to prevent stains on your panties.

Carol
Unread 06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Wink - Cranberry juice/bladder question cranberry

I take cranberry tablets and find them really good in helping UTI's
Give them a try
Gaye
Unread 06-13-2005, 10:27 PM

Thank you all!

The Macrobid I have been taking since Friday is really helping. I have stopped drinking cranberry juice, mainly because I think I might be allergic to it? I am allergic to Strawberries and now I have the same type of little itchy bumps all over my arms. If they are not gone by next week, I will go see the doctor about it.

As far as carbonated drinks, I'm not drinking anything with carbonation as I found out early in my recovery that they brought on pain almost immediately. Gatorade is not carbonated, but I never thought about the citric acid, so I'm holding off on that till the UTI is gone. Now I just drink water all day long.

I would think that anything with cranberry, cranberry extract, etc. would be bad if I truly am allergic to it. There is an allergy/asthma foundation in a neighboring city that I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get tested to see just what is causing this allergic reaction I'm having.

thank you so much for your input and advice.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.