HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

PCOS post hysterectomy PCOS post hysterectomy

Unread 06-12-2005, 08:25 AM
PCOS post hysterectomy

I have PCOS. As well, I am a DES baby, though it may or may not have any impact on its causation.

What I am curious about is the impact PCOS has on post hysterectomy patients. I am have a total hysterectomy, with everything leaving except my cervix.

Some questions I am curious about is weight gain, loss of sex drive, mood swings, impact of HRT (and what kind), as well as impact on hirsutism.

Any information or links would be good.

Thanks!
Unread 06-12-2005, 04:55 PM
PCOS post hysterectomy

I don't know what PCOS means but I was hoping by bumping this up another sister might. Can you explain a bit? Good Luck on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 06-12-2005, 05:11 PM
PCOS post hysterectomy

I understand if the ovaries are removed, the PCOS problems remain, plus the chance to have the normal problems that all women may face after taking the ovaries. We are all different ,some of us have dryness, weight gain, mood swings. You may have symptoms of menopause or you may not , depending on your age and what estrogen your other glands can make for you.

I do know with myself(not have PCOS), I take hrt and it does affect my appetite and weight gain to a certain extent, but not bad. When I get off, I don't have this problem. I cannot get off because of the symptoms of depression, dryness, and hot flashes. I have to work very hard with diet and exercise to keep me at the correct weight, but I always feel hungry from the hrt. I am taking the hrt that is bio-identical, which is easily taken into the body. I use the patch and do like it.

Here is a link on PCOS:

http://www.soulcysters.com/

You can research more on this in our Resources library at the top of the page and the Search feature.

I hope this helps some.

s
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:02 AM
PCOS post hysterectomy

I am curious. I thought DES daughters were at very high-risk to develop cervical and vaginal cancers. Correct me if I am wrong.

Have you consulted an oncologist? This post really piked my curiousity about DES risks.

Dee
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:43 PM
PCOS post hysterectomy

PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or something like that.

Yes, DES babies have a higher risk for clear cell carcinoma of the vagina, and cervical cancer (I think). I have been in touch with U of Chicago, who did this experiment on my mother, and me as a result. They state nothing shows DES increase ovarian cancer risk.

Hysterectomy is because of repeat D&Cs, about every 18 months. Not worth it. CA-125 count went from 10 to 26 in one year. I know this is not "cancer" but with the DES, I figure who knows what else DES can do, so why become a statistic after the fact?

So, despite losing them ovaries, I guess I still have to address the same problems the same way. Shucks!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.