HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

"red head syndrome" (anesthesia) "red head syndrome" (anesthesia)

Unread 06-18-2005, 08:35 AM
"red head syndrome" (anesthesia)

Has any one ever heard of the red-nd head syndrome? When I met with anesthesia yesterday and told them that i become violently ill after anesthesia, they said " Oh that is the red-head syndrome!!! That people with red hair are more prone to nausea and vomiting than others.

Maureen
Unread 06-18-2005, 08:49 AM

All I can tell you is ask for "Zofran"...it is the BEST medicine for vomiting from anesthesia! I get really sick also...and I told my Dr. way before surgery to give me the best medicine they have...and they did! I didn't have one second of nausea when I woke up! It was wonderful!! It truly is a miracle drug!! Good Luck!!
Unread 06-18-2005, 08:51 AM

I have never heard of it... I have natural red highlights in my blonde hair; and 2 of my four daughters are redheads...

so far no problems for any of us...

Ces.
Unread 06-18-2005, 09:19 AM

I never had this problem, and I am a true red-head, and been under general 3 other times .
The only time i was aware of the Zofran was at my last surgery (not that i didnt have it at other surgeries).
In fact i am including that on my "list" to make sure that i get it myself.
Unread 06-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Zofran Rocks! In fact if you have kids that are prone to get really ill from the stomach flu (like mine) and the suppositories don't work for them, you can get Zofran for that too. It's expensive, but in my opinion totally worth it.

Never heard of Red Head syndrome, and my hair is not really red, but definitely chestnut with deep red tones.

Mary
Unread 06-18-2005, 11:51 AM

There was another thread last year about this which peaked my curiousity about excessive bleeding in carrot-tops.

Red Heads and clotting factors.

In the past I've found phenergan to be pretty good for nausea. I did very well after surgery, only two bouts of nausea and they gave me something right away. When I had surgeries as a kid I threw up violently after them. I'm so glad that didn't happen this time.

Take care.
Unread 06-18-2005, 04:03 PM

I'm a strawberry blond and yep, get real sick from anesthetic. First knee surgery I was very sick and after that I knew to tell the anesthetiologist that I do get sick and since then they put something in the IV before hand where I don't get sick. Works like a charm. Big thing is to remember to tell them. Funny thing is I had forgotten and when I had my lap I actually had flash backs at the outpatient clinic. This is where I had the one knee surgery and as I sat there for the lap it all came back...funny what you can forget.

They also told me that I will probably bleed more with being a red head. I'm a little concerned about having two surgeons work on me for so long and blood loss. (They figure the surgery will be about 3 hrs.) I just figure they all know what they are doing, so I leave it all up to them...they will take good care of me! They better!

Good luck
Unread 06-18-2005, 07:05 PM

I am a strawberry blonde and I have heard of the red-head syndrome. Fortunately I didn't have any problems with anesthesia. I was not sick at all
I also have a lot of freckles. I have been told that redheads and those that have freckles are hard-sticks to draw blood and that we bleed more. I found that to be very true. They usually have to stick me two or more times to draw blood. Plus I lost a lot of blood during surgery.
But over all my recovery is going well.
I hope all goes well for you.

Pam

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.