HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

General Anesthesia or spinal Block??? General Anesthesia or spinal Block???

Unread 06-18-2005, 09:52 AM
General Anesthesia or spinal Block???

The only time I have been in the hospital was when I had my son 8 years ago. I did have an epidural then and didn't think it was so bad.
I am wondering about anesthesia for my hysterectomy... I have allergy induced asthma which is totally under control, but don't know if I should be nervous about GA. My dr mentioned maybe a spinal would be better if I am nervous and I told her there is no way I want to hear "oops!" in the OR!
Does anyone have any advice/stories regarding their experiences with GA and spinal blocks?
Thanks!
Unread 06-18-2005, 02:39 PM

Hi mowgli ,

I too have asthma. My hospital required that my asthma doc "ok" me for surgery.

When I went in to the hospital for my pre-op tests, I mentioned to them my concerns about my asthma and they sent for an anesthesiologist to come and talk to me. He scheduled himself for my surgery. He told me what his experience was with asthma patients, what the real risks were, and what my options were. Together we made the choice that was best for me. They also made sure that someone from respiratory therapy was in the OR with me.

I did have an attack when they pulled the tube. It was frightening, but RT was right there with treatment and the Anesthesiologist put me right back to sleep. When I woke up I was in my room breathing fine. For the rest of my stay I was on breathing treatments by RT every 4 hours.

I would encourage you to get as much information from the DR's who will actually be with you as you can. Share all your fears with them, and let them help you chose what is best for you. At the very least, tell both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist.

The more information everyone has, even you, the better you will feel about the whole thing.

I would do it again, if I needed more surgery.

Good luck and
's
Kay
Unread 06-18-2005, 02:51 PM

I had the epidural and wal also under, I did not want to hear anything either, they left the epidural in for 24 hrs after and it helped with the pain... I had a great experience with the surgery, but the pain after I got it out was bad for a solid 2 weeks....I was the vicodin queen.....I feel great now at 12 weeks post-op.... Have them both... Good Luck,,,It will be over soon, the hardest part is the wait......
Unread 06-18-2005, 07:43 PM

I had a spinal with Versaid (sleepy juice). After the anest. put in the spinal they started talking (Dr's) and he (anest) do you really want to hear all this? I said no, and drifted into lala land. Versaid is not putting you totally out it is an amnesia drug. You just don't remember anything during the surgery, but as soon as I was in recovery, the spinal was out and I was talking to the nurses. WAS GREAT, would do it again in a heartbeat.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.