HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Painful Sex!!! Painful Sex!!!

Unread 06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Painful Sex!!!

Hi All,

New to the board!! Here is my situation ( I will try to be brief! ). Had my TAH 1 & 1/2 yrs ago. When the doc gave the ok for sex, it was okay for a while but as time passed, it has become so painful- i would rather have all of my teeth removed with no novacane!! Pain is caused by total dryness. No one every really let me know what to expect. I guess I wasn't expecting to dry up totally.

My husband and I just moved to Florida 6 months ago- do not have a new doc yet. Bad side is I have my mother living with us- she has alzheimers so we cannot have sex as much as we would like. At any rate, does anyone have any suggestions to help relieve this pain? I will try anything- luckily I have a great husband who is totally understanding.

HELP!!!

Thanks,

atw925
Unread 06-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Painful Sex!!!

How about KY jelly or something like it?
Unread 06-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Painful Sex!!!

Hi and welcome to Hystersisters! I'm glad you found us. I've moved your post over here to the Sexual Dysfunction forum, which is a place for ladies past the initial healing period from their hysterectomy to discuss difficulties they may have with sex after their surgery. Here's a link to how this forum works:

Please read before posting

I notice from your profile that you had your ovaries removed. Are you on HRT? The most usual cause of painful sex post hyst is from vaginal dryness. Here's a link to an explanation of what vaginal dryness really is and the treatments available:

vaginal dryness

The best treatments are those involving the use of topical estrogen - that is, estrogen applied directly in the vagina. Even those of us who are on systemic HRT (patches, pills etc) may find we need some vaginal estrogen too, to keep things moist and elastic in there so penetration is not painful.

Have you talked with your DR about this problem yet? I'd recommend reading the vaginal dryness link and then going in to see your DR to see if he/she can help.

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Painful Sex!!!

Thanks for the info; I am not on any HRT. Also, we just moved to Fla & I don't have a doctor yet, but I need to do something. Thanks for the link- very informative!
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Painful Sex!!!

Hi,
I had the same problem as you...I think being scared that it will be painful also causes it to be. My onc. said I would probably always need a lubricant. We tried the ones and the drugstore but they were not good. Went to the "Love Shop" and the lady there was really very helpful. Anyways, get the mellenium ID lubricant, it is recommended by physicians and we were so surprised that it was not painful like it was. The first time I was still very aprehensive, but now there is no problems at all. I was quite surprised. We were told that it is the best stuff around. I had 25 external radiation treatments and it works for us!!
Belle 53

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.