HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Does progesterone cream cause weight gain too? Does progesterone cream cause weight gain too?

Unread 06-23-2005, 05:24 AM
Does progesterone cream cause weight gain too?

I'm just at my wits end. I started progesterone cream, hoping that would counteract some of the weight gain from the estrogen. I had managed to lose a couple of pounds over the last few weeks. Then, I get on the scale and I had gained those pounds back plus 2 more!!! I have not changed my eating. I am eating as healthy, low fat, low cal as possible, exercising every day. I am sitting here crying. I don't know what to do. I just want to quit taking everything and suffer wtih the dang hot flashes. I'm going to Cancun in 2 weeks and I feel like a beached whale!!!
Unread 06-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Carolinachick,
I am not experienced with HRT, only 9 months post op and been on estrogen implant since surgery. I found when I started using the progesterone cream alot of the bloat and water retention disappeared, when I stopped for a few days the water retention came right back, very similar to that PMS feeling. I have noticed one thing, weightloss is alot harder for me now although I've lost over 12 kgs since my surgery it has been "hard" work sensible eating wasn't enough anymore I needed to make exercise a major part. I find I need to workout 6 X a week and can't afford to miss it, that's OK because I've also found excercise to be a great reliever of stress so it is definately a win win thing for me.
I noticed your the same age as me and don't know if it is our age or surgery or abit of both because I never had such a hard time losing weight in the past.
For me I couldn't function without HRT so I'm doing whatever I can to keep those pounds at bay and to get of my remaining "excess" baggage
BTW I noticed that your excercising everday, maybe some of the gain is muscle?? also have you had your Thyroid levels checked?? I've been underactive for about 17 years and this can make weightloss hard if it's not functioning properly.
Goodluck, Enjoy Cancun sounds wonderful, very wet and cold here today!!!
Unread 06-23-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks Wendy. I was in a whining mood this morning when I got on the scales. I believe a small part is muscle but I'm not lifting heavy weights or anything. I'm doing 1 hour on the treadmill every other day and the other days I do my Denise Austin tape with resistance exercises. It's kind of like light weights but you use a power band. I feel like I am getting more tone, but I just expected with all the work I'm doing to see some results. I also quit smoking 5 days ago and I'm avoiding sugary suckers and everything because of my weight, which is making it a little more difficult. I guess I'm just taking on so much at once that it's frustrating but I'm determined to get myself "together" before that big 4-0 hits in February. lol

Thanks for the advise. I don't think I have a thyroid problem but I'm seeing my doctor next week and I'll ask her to check it again.
Unread 06-24-2005, 09:54 AM

there is one important thing to remember the scale is not as important as the way your clothes fit. i lost about 10 pounds when i started running, then the weight loss just stopped i did not change anything but noticed my body still looks leaner and tighter. Dont get discouraged! i am trying not to!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.