HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone know the signs of torn stitches or infection? Anyone know the signs of torn stitches or infection?

Unread 06-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Anyone know the signs of torn stitches or infection?

Hi Everyone.......I'm now 6 weeks post-op. Been having a little pain come back, and the belly is feeling a little bit different. By this i mean more swollen, and tender to the touch. Anyone else experiencing the same? I have no discharge or bleeding at all. I'm worried if there might be infection or torn stitches. If anyone has had infection or torn stitches could you please tell me the symtoms to give me an idea if i should call the Doc. Thanx to everyone for all the support i had received......
Nikka
Unread 06-28-2005, 07:29 AM

I don't have the answer, But this is a very good question.
Unread 06-28-2005, 07:59 AM

Yes, I am going thru this right now. I just had a ct scan yesterday, with oral and injectable dye. It showed nothing major. So the doctors have concluded that I probably pulled a few sticthes, day after surgery, had an minor mishap in hospital. So this area is very sore and tender, sometimes extremely painful if I do to much. They explained that this area did show inflamation. And that this will take time to heal. So at this time, since last week, I was ordered to bedrest. Yesterday they said, do what I can, if it starts to hurt, stop and rest for several hours. Try not to do anything that irriates it, so I think carefully about my movements, I can feel when I am pulling in this area. They did warn that if I don't allow it extra time to heal, could turn into a hernia later, or have heavy amounts of scar tissue. He wants to see me back in 6 weeks. He said, it may not be gone by then, but should notice improvement. He said if no improvement then he is going to send me to a General Surgeon. I am going to be wearing a binder during the day, when I am up. I am going to have to go back to baby steps with walking. I have no sign of infection, signs would be: fever, nausa voimting or general not feeling well. But you should check with DR. He also reminded me that they had shorten several ligaments, and I could have also injured one of those, and they take time to heal. Then ending it by saying that is why we say 6-8 for recovery. I am not allowed to drive until this gets alot better, mine is on my right side and does hurt when raising right foot. I hope this helps in any way. If Dr wants you to rest a week and see if it goes better, I would try it. The CAT scan with the oral and injectable dye, was not piece of cake. I had an allergic reation to the dye and that became the main problem at the hospital, and then had to stay for 8 hrs why they mointered me, plus a two different meds to conteract the allergic reations.

Jean
Unread 06-28-2005, 08:21 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your grief. Thank you for your input. I realize with hysterectomy there is the good and the bad things for sure. How frustrating!!! For example today i feel pretty good and tomorrow......who knows?? Its so great that we have this site so we can vent and share symtoms.......cause no one knows what its like unless you've been through it. Heres to us all getting stronger.......can't be soon enough......Luv Jo
Unread 06-28-2005, 11:17 PM

You are still very early in your recovery...it really takes 6 mo to a year to completely heal from a hysterectomy. I don't know what your pain is like, but I can tell you that I am 4 mo next wk, and I still have zingers and a tender belly. I get a little anxious when I experience a new "pain", but so far I have had no complications and feel great! The swollen belly is normal...there is an article on "swelly belly" which may help you. That is normal, and it is caused by trauma to the tissues due to abdomianl surgery. I still get it, but have noticed that it is alot better than it was. If you feel there is something just "not right", consult your dr. But, in my experience, things do get better with time. Just be patient with your body...we have lots of healing to do!
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:40 AM

5 weeks today and this is probably the most blah I have felt for at least 2 weeks.

My tummy just feels like a big bruise and I'm finding it uncomfortable to move around today. Belly is poking out too. I haven't felt like this for a few weeks, so it really does get you down a bit. I keep telling myself that this is normal - there will be good and bad days.

Infection - I'm not a dr, but I believe that if there was an infection, a temperature would be one of the signs.

Hope things are better tomorrow for both of us.

Unread 06-29-2005, 08:33 AM
torn stitches and infection

Hi Nikka! I am almost 3 weeks post-op from my LAVH on 6/10. I too have had numerous problems with different pains, low grade fever, bleeding , etc.(I have posted my concerns here and always get great feedback!) I went to see my dr yesterday as a follow-up to a trip I had to take to the ER last Friday and after a CT scan, X-rays, manual exams, the WORKS, my diagnosis was badly swollen lymph glands and I popped a stitch in my vaginal cuff. I had no idea that a broken stitch would bleed that much! Anyway, the swollen glands account for the extreme tenderness and throbbing/stabbing/burning pain on both sides of my belly button. The pain fluctuates in the way that it feels and also the intensity. I had also been having powerful, menstrual-like cramps which I was told by my dr that this is just my body adapting to the trauma of the surgery itself. He explained that these last two weeks my body has basically been in shock, and about the 3rd week it begins to adjust to not having those organs anymore (they took everything!) As far as the fever goes, the ER found a TRACE of a UTI and put me on antibiotics. I get the impression that I will be experiencing most--if not all--of these afflictions for some time to come, as I'm told it takes literally months, and even up to a full year or more, for the body to heal. My dr used silver nitrate to cauterize the vaginal stitches (he referred to the cuff as being "granulated", which I still don't understand what that means so if anyone could explain this to me I would appreciate it!)
Sorry for the length of my reply...and come to think of it, I'm not even sure that I helped you at all! My brain seems to have "misplaced" some of it's functional ability....blame it on the painkillers!
And for those of you who have replied to my posts here lately, I would like to say a huge THANK YOU! If it weren't for the Sisters I'm not so sure I could hang onto my sanity! I have gotten everything straightened out with my dr AND his office, and I don't think I would've had the confidence or the know-how if it weren't for my "Sisters"!
Thanks a BUNCH!!!!

Robin

32 years old, LAVH/BSO on 6/10/05, due to endo (and no HRT for at least a year because of this), adhesions, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, very SCREWED of periods (lifelong problem!), and several years of excruciating pain. It's been an uphill climb....maybe now I can travel downward toward the PAIN FREE road of happiness and spontaneity....as long as I don't MELT before I reach the bottom (these hot flashes are MURDER!!!)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.