HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

having cervix removed having cervix removed

Unread 06-30-2005, 04:07 PM
having cervix removed

I am 25 and having my cervix removed. i have cervical dysplasia. Doc said it would be the best thing only if I am done having kids, which my husband and I are. we have a daughter who is 3. Not really sure what to say. I am just nervous about the surgery.
Unread 06-30-2005, 06:37 PM
having cervix removed

It's perfectly normal to be nervous about the surgery. Have you and your doctor decided if you're keeping your ovaries? And will it be an abdominal or a vaginal hyst?

You might want to update your profile and put in your surgery date (if you know it). It lets everyone else know where you're at and you don't have to keep repeating it whenever you post.

This is a great site if you've got any questions, or if you just want to talk.

HollyK
Unread 06-30-2005, 07:44 PM
having cervix removed

I had TVH in April. Having the hyst. vaginally gave me no choice aobut keeping my cervix and I considered a TAH so I could keep it. After talking to my Dr. and reading posts here I decided to go with the TVH and let them take my cervix (there was nothing wrong with it) I am 12 weeks post op now and have no regrets at all about the choice. I do not miss it at all and neither does my husband. After the first couple of times sex is as good as ever, in fact better than it had been in a while since I was feeling so miserable all the time. I too was scared about surgery but I trusted the Dr. and anesthesiologist and had the support of my family, I have 3 children 10, 8 and almost 4 so I needed help and everything turned out great. Good luck to you.
Unread 06-30-2005, 08:57 PM
having cervix removed

I had a class 3, in 1988. I asked my doctor if I could keep my cervix, and he said that it would be okay. He took the top portion and left the bottom for pelvic floor support. When I had severe dysplasia, I had laser surgery of my cervix, and I've had normal paps since. I wish you luck.

Hugs
Kathleen
Unread 06-30-2005, 08:58 PM
having cervix removed

p.s. ....... In 1991 I had my youngest daughter.
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:55 PM
having cervix removed

Welcome to Hystersisters!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions, but I'm not sure I totally understand your situation.

Are you having ONLY your cervix removed (trachelectomy) or are you having a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix)?

Do you have a history of abnormal PAP's or is this your first occurence of an abnormal PAP that led you to a LEEP? Is this your first LEEP?

Do you know what your pathology report said? Do you have squamous cell involvement or glandular cell involvement?

And (this would also be on your pathology report) did you have clear margins? This would indicate whether or not all of the abnormal cells were removed. Clear margins are a good indicator that all of the abnormal cells have been removed--especially if you have squamous cell involvement.

I am asking you all of these questions for a reason. Statistics show that 80-90% of women are cured of dysplasia after a LEEP or cone biopsy. Most of those women will never have a recurrence, and if they do, it is usually very easy to treat with another cone or LEEP (or sometimes cryotherapy). A hysterectomy is major surgery, and while most women do well with them, there is a small percentage of women who have lifelong side effects from it, so it's important to investigate it thoroughly before going through with it. It's also a very permanent end to your fertility.

Have you requested a second opinion? I would highly recommend that you request to see a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers, and they have been trained extensively in the most current medical procedures and surgical techniques in the treatment of gynecologic abnormalities.

(((faeriegrl))) I hope you don't feel like I've just given you the third degree because it certainly was not intended that way. I just wanted to provide you with some information to consider. You are very young, and this is a big surgery. Please consider a second opinion.

Please let us know if you have more questions, and if you decide that surgery is definitely the course for you, please let us know when you are having it. Good luck!

Unread 07-01-2005, 07:12 AM
having cervix removed

s faeriegrl

I'm so sorry to hear you are having to deal with all of this at such a young age. It can be somewhat scary...we know....

I have to agree with Jeannine here. Please consider a consultation with a gyn/onc in your area. It's just that there are so many options out there for dysplasia, that we just want to make sure you've covered all of the bases. If anything, just for the piece of mind......

Please let us know how things go for you......

Unread 07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
having cervix removed

I guess I wasn't too clear on my first post....I have had several LEEPs. My doctor is an gyn/onc...I was referred to by my ob/gyn. Ever since I had my daughter my paps have been abmormal. What I understood from the doctor the dysplasia is all over my cervix and moving up. I go for my pre-op examin soon he will examine me to see how he will operate. That is the visit I have a list of questions. As for now I get to keep my ovaries. as soon as I learn more I will let you know. Thank you for the advice and responses. I know I am young but I am more scared of cancer as it runs high in my family.
Unread 07-06-2005, 09:33 PM
having cervix removed

That does clarify a lot of things. I would suggest that you ask your gyn/onc to please thoroughly check your vaginal walls. Mine vinegar tests mine and examines with the colposcope. I also had a long history of abnormal PAP's and dysplasia was found on my vaginal wall near the vaginal entrance as well as on my cervix, so when I had my TAH they also did a partial vaginectomy. I healed well, and 5 years later other than an occasional abnormal PAP (which is then followed by a normal one), everything still looks good.

I hope you have a good appointment. Ask good questions, including what your follow-up PAP schedule will be.

Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.