HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long does it take to adjust to a new level of hormones? How long does it take to adjust to a new level of hormones?

Unread 07-08-2005, 05:35 PM
How long does it take to adjust to a new level of hormones?

I am 8 1/2 weeks post op and was on Climatra .05 (sp?) At about 5 or 6 weeks I started realizing that I was experiencing mood swings, irritability, sleepless night, and hot flashes (although I didn't actually know they were hot flashes)

At 7 weeks I called the GYN to see if this was "Normal" and they upped my dose of hormones to .06.

I have been on the new hormone for almost a week and I relize that it isn't long enough to be working right yet, but it seems like things are getting worse.

I am starting to withdraw from everyone, I don't want to clean anymore, or go to the pool. At work I don't talk to anyone (that is another story) and I feel like I can't talk even at home because everything I say is negative and snappy. Also the hotflashes seem to be controling my life now. I feel like I have 15 to 20 a day, and they are getting more extreme as they go.

How long does it take before you start to feel the effects of a hormone change? HOw long should I wait to call my doc back?
Unread 07-08-2005, 06:41 PM

I started .3 premarin and felt the difference after a week. When she prescribed it, my DR said it would take 1-2 weeks. The length of time may vary by drug. I hope you find some relief.
Ashley
Unread 07-09-2005, 08:51 PM
raising hormones

I had my surgery back in early Feb. I was put on premarin .3 then .625. I seemed to be doing okay but noticed in May irritability and problems sleeping again. My Dr. wanted me to wait a while longer before changing my level because they try to keep it as long as possible. But, 2 weeks later I had had enough. But, instead of raising my level, they put me effexor. It is one of the anti-depressants that can help with hormone symptoms. I am still taking the premarin also. Seems to be helping me. Maybe you can take to your Dr. about other possibilites too!
Unread 07-09-2005, 10:13 PM

Hi There!

You might want to ask these types of HRT questions in the Hormone Jungle forum...I see from viewing your past posts that you have been there before, although we are certainly happy to help you here, too!

In a Menopause Management magazine I picked up in my gyn's waiting room, I read that it can take up to three months for any HRT medication to reach its full effectiveness. Despite your increased dosage, you still are on a relatively low dose. I am a very inpatient person myself, so at this point I would probably be on the phone to my doctor demanding the highest dose allowable by law! I guess I don't have any advice, except to proceed like your instincts tell you. I responded favorably to my own HRT regimen (Estratest) in less than a week, but eveyone is different.

Hang in there! Please contact your doctor with your questions and concerns!
Unread 07-10-2005, 09:07 AM

Hi Kelly!

I've moved your post here to the Hormone Jungle so you can get some input from others who have experience to share. I also removed the duplicate post you made in here in the Hormone Jungle.

There's no set time frame on how long it will take to notice a difference. Some of us get relief quickly and others take longer. That wasn't much of a change in dose for you and it does sound like you are getting worse instead of better. No fun! Where are you wearing your patch? If it's on your abdomen you could try moving it to your rear where absorption can be better. In effect you get an increase in the dose (around 20%) without actually using a higher dose patch.

I also suggest that you keep a journal of the symptoms you are having so that you can show your doctor how you are doing over a period of time. It's easier to keep a journal than to try to remember how you were doing on any given day. You might also want to refer to the list of symptoms common for too much/too little estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Print off the list and check the symptoms that you are having. You can share that with your doctor, too, as you work to get balanced.

Hormone fluctuations are common in the early weeks of recovery. Your body is depleting the stores of hormones made by your ovaries so that factors in. Making too many changes with your hormone therapy too soon can cause fluctuations, so be careful not to change doses at the first sign of trouble. Patience is a virtue in the Jungle!

Try changing your patch location if you haven't already and see if that helps. If not, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to call your doctor to share what's going on with you now.

I hope you feel better soon!

Unread 07-11-2005, 08:25 AM

I have been wearing the patch on my hind side since surgery, never tried it on my abdomin. The article to much to little is what prompeted me to contact the doctor about the hormones.

I just put the second patch on and will allow this week to see an improvement, if not I will be calling the doctor next Monday for an appointment.

I guess the reason I did so well during my recovery was that there must of been a storage of hormones in my body that I was using along with the patch, they must be gone now!

Mood has been pretty ok this weekend, but gosh the hotflashes are horrible. This morning I had a major one after I got dressed for work, which resulted in a cold shower and another outfit.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.