HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone torn adhesions/scar tissue? Anyone torn adhesions/scar tissue?

Unread 07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Anyone torn adhesions/scar tissue?

I am 3 1/2 months out from my BSO & 1 months from my gallbladder surgery. Started having abdominal pain last weekend after a day of babysitting my grandaughter. Pain kept getting worse all week and by Wed. I called my OBGYN who was on vacation. Went to my GP on Thurday and she decided I needed to change my hormones and take an antidepressent. Was worse by Friday and went back and she gave me an anti-inflamitory and strong antibiotic. (I think she got a little over zealous with the meds). Sat. was worse and she sent me to ER for a CAT scan. ER doc said there was nothing in my tests or on the CAT scan. Said he thought it was post-operative pain caused by adhesions or scar tissue tearing. Gave me pain pills, said to rest and put heat on it. I tried staying on the new hormones my GP gave me but quit taking everything else because ER doc said I didn't need it (no infections). Had a migraine all weekend. Finally got a hold of my OBGYN yesterday. He reviewed CAT, told me to go back on my Premarin because the new hormones (Estratest) was giving me the migraines. He said to take the pain pills, rest, use heat and let it heal was all we could do. I feel somewhat better today because of no migraine. I used the pain pills, heat and rested. Today I ache, but it is manageable.

Has anyone else ever done this a couple of months after surgery? When will it be safe for me to lift my granddaughter without fear of tearing something? Anyone else had problems with migraines when switching from one HRT to another? These steps backwards get discouraging, am looking forward to a year from now when I hope I am finally better. Appreciate the support this board offers!!!
Unread 07-12-2005, 12:55 PM

Amazing what just a little thing like picking up your granddaughter can do. With having the 2 surgeries so close together, maybe this is why it's taking a bit longer to be ready to do lifting? Take it as easy as you can so hopefully you can avoid further damage & pain. I will be praying the rest of your healing goes smoothly and quickly!
Unread 07-12-2005, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the prayers Pednurse. My little grandbaby has been my bright spot through this ordeal. My daughter is a NeoNatal nurse and has helped me so much also just by being moral support. As has everyone on this board. Guess I just have to give into my body and take things easier.
Unread 07-12-2005, 03:48 PM

How old is your granddaughter? I know that not picking her up is hard----my daughter is 3 and keeps asking when I will be able to pick her up again. She has done well, though, by just climbing up on my lap when I'm sitting (and being reminded not to stick any elbows or knees in my tummy!). Take it easy and give your granddaughter lots of hugs and kisses! I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
Unread 07-12-2005, 03:56 PM

She is 4 months old, but already a little chunky monkey, weighing in now at 16.5 lbs. What a doll baby. Grandkids are definately our reward from heaven for surviving everything life throws at us at this age!! Thanks for you kind thoughts. Vickey
Unread 07-14-2005, 06:54 AM

I am almost 4 months out from surgery and had a bout of bronchitis for about 10 days. Of course I got more and more sore in my pelvic region all the way to the cuff in my vagina as I coughed uncontrollably. I have had a call in to the Dr.s office concerning the sharp pains which have turned in to aching, but no answer yet. I bet the coughing has done just that, tear or stretch adhesions or scar tissue. I am comforted to know that rest and time will help. I still have pain meds left, maybe I will take them for a couple days. I've been fretting, thinking I've done damage and will need another operation to have it all fixed. Thanks for sharing. I will still try to talk to the Dr. about it.

Hope you are feeling better, let us know!

Cathy
Unread 07-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Thanks Cathy, heat really helps a lot also. Mine took about a week to finish to a peak of pain and is starting to feel better. My Dr. said he wouldn't re-operate for that anyway unless it was just dibilitating. Rest, take your pain meds, use a heating pad and don't lift anything for awhile. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Take Care. Vickey
ps we had our surgeries the same day.
Unread 07-14-2005, 05:12 PM

Thanks Vickie, I did talk personally to my Dr. today, he wants me to go back on anti-inflammatories round the clock, and he put me on the list for a laproscopic look. He said hopefully you won't need it by the time it comes up, but he didn't feel I should have this much discomfort so far out. Also have an ovarian cyst, so that may be in the decision to look around. I just feel better someone is finally listening to me and not reciting, "your just a slow healer". I don't want another surgery, but also don't want to hurt forever.

It must be so wonderful to have a grand-baby! My daughters are both 21... one of them has been married a couple years now, maybe before too long! I hope you are feeling better everyday Thanks for being there!

Cathy
Unread 07-14-2005, 09:31 PM

Hi Bankergal98,
I had a TAH in Jan 05. I started having pain last month after packing boxes for moving. The pain became so bad that I could hardly walk. I saw my doctor at the hospital were I work and told her about the pain. She thinks I either tore some adhesions or I pulled some of the internal sutures that can take 6-9 months to heal. She gave me a prescription for pain meds and told me to rest, apply heat, and not to lift anything over 20 lbs. for a few weeks. SO far SO good.
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions about HRT or migraines because I kept my ovaries. I can say that I haven't had any migraines since having the TAH. I do have something in common with your daughter....I currently practice as a Neonatal nurse and as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner.
Hope you feel better soon,
Nancy
Unread 07-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Feeling Better

Thanks ladies, I am feeling better this week. I think whatever tore or pulled in there NEEDED to pull or tear. I know that sounds weird, but I have been feeling much better since is has quit hurting. Not only less pain, but my appetite is coming back and my mood is getting better. I think being in constant, nagging pain for so long after surgery was really bringing me down. I have been taking it easy, putting heat on my tummy when I get home in the evenings and not lifting anything. So far I haven't taken any pain meds except 1 during the night for the past two days. I even had the energy to go out to dinner and do some shopping with my daughter & granddaughter last night. Hopefully this is the corner I have been waiting to turn! I hope you are all feeling better also! Take Care Vickey

ps GreenGlassGal The first cyst I had removed on my right ovary was attached with adhesions to my intestines. The pain was so bad it was torture when I was having bowel movements. Adhesions can do freaky things in there. Hope yours heals up. And grandkids are a gift from heaven to offset all the other trials we suffer at this age is my firm belief!! They are the best!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.