HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Why do I have trouble urinating first thing in the morning? Why do I have trouble urinating first thing in the morning?

Unread 07-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Why do I have trouble urinating first thing in the morning?

20 days post op for cystocele repair and pubovaginal sling. Unable to urinate at all until 14 days post op. Now I have an actual stream and feel that things are returning to normal although I still have significant residual. Problem is that I am unable to urinate first thing in the morning at all. Today I got out a few drops which is a breakthrough of sorts. Has anyone else had this problem and does it work itself out? I see my urologist tomorrow for my first post op follow up.
Unread 07-13-2005, 03:39 PM

It could be that youre a bit distended first thing in the morning from not going all night (assuming youre not waking up and voiding during the night). You might try waking up 3-4 hours after going to bed so you can empty your bladder; then it might be a bit easier to void next time you awake.
You could also try taking some ibuprophen (if tolerable) prior to going to bed to help with any swelling that might be occuring during the night.

stay well
diana
Unread 07-13-2005, 04:33 PM

Thank you Diana. I do get up once during the night and void/cath. I also take Ibuprofen bedfore bed. I see the urologist tomorrow. I'm sure he'll have some words of wisdom for me. I'm hoping this will work itself out and I won't need to go back to have the sling loosened.
Unread 07-14-2005, 01:28 PM

Grandblanc,
Have patience! I know...it's hard! But, that is exactly what my dr. told me at my 6 week checkup! I had the same surgery on April 14th this year, and my bladder is still "lazy" first thing in the morning, but every week it gets better! What helps me is to get up and walk around the house for a few minutes before trying to void. After a couple of "trickly" tries in the am, my stream is almost back to normal!
I have also had occasional bladder spasms if I drink alcohol, or too much caffiene. I have found that drinking extra water helps control the spasms.
I don't come on this board much, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Best of luck on being patient!!!!!
June
Unread 07-15-2005, 08:44 PM

I had a tvt done in June. Though it hasn't stopped the leakage 100%, it is much much much better than prior to surgery. I came home without a catheter, and only self cathed the first day just to make sure I was emptying my bladder. I also have a hard time going when I first wake up. I also have a hard time getting up in the morning without a little leakage. The rest of my day is pretty normal. Don't know if this will help you with your situation, but I am happy with my surgery, and feel it was a good decision.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway