HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

sex after uterus and cervex is removed sex after uterus and cervex is removed

Unread 07-13-2005, 10:07 AM
sex after uterus and cervex is removed

Hi girls,
I really need your advice, I am scheduled for having my uterus out and the doc said the cervex too. The problem is I have heaviness feeling all the time but nothing showing on the outside, how can I be sure it is really uterine prolapse. I know my uterus came out when I was giving birth to my daughter and the midwive just stuck it back in but supposedly later they said it went back to normal. Beside the constant pressure I do have occasionaly urine leakage only when caughing hard. It is not enough to cause any real problem. The doc says he can do a & p repair to my bladder because that is prolapsed. I am wondering if I should just have the bladder surgery done and not the hysterectomy. One of my major questions is, does sex remain the same after the cervex is removed? My aunt who had cancer says she had no feeling there after her surgery, I am only 35 and don't want to sound selfish but do enjoy sex and my problem is not life threatneing so I could live with it. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
bj
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:14 AM

(((bj))), I've moved your post here to the Options/Alternative forum so you can start getting replies from all members. The Introduce Yourself forum is set up so that only Hostesses can reply and I want to be sure you get input for your important questions from all members with experiences to share.

Do your research, get another medical opinion if it would help with your decision, and then make the best choice for your circumstances.

s and best wishes!
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:21 AM

BJ, in my opinion you should get it all taken care of at once. If you have the heaviness feeling, that is most likely the prolapse. I can't answer to the sex issue, since I haven't had my H yet. I'm really nervous about that also. I had bladder repair in May. I was checked out by my gyn and he said that I had minor prolapse, so I went ahead with the surgery without the H. Now, since my uterus is placing pressure on the bladder, the surgery is not 100% and I'm starting to have a rectocele also. The collapse of everything is happening really quickly. I have to have the bladder sling tightened or redone and rectocele repair. I wish that I had had everything done at once in the first place. I am just feeling back to normal after the bladder repair and have to face another surgery in 2 weeks.

You may consider a 2nd opinion. Good luck!
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:24 AM

Hi BJ. While I haven't had my hyst yet, my mom has had hers and I've been a reading machine lately, reading everything I can about hysterectomies. The consensus seems to be (and my mom agrees) that having a hyst with removal of the cervix doesn't seem to affect sex at all for most women. There are always those rare cases that it will affect, but they are just that-rare.

If you are really concerned about whether or not to have your hyst, get some books from the Hyster Sisters store. They REALLY help, as do all the wonderful ladies here!!! No one can decide but you!!

HUGS,
Stacey
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info Diane, how was the bladder surgery?
I have been thinking about just having that done for now because last week a dr giving a second opinion said that the pressure is most likely coming from a cystocele and not a uterine prolapse and the dr said I have good muscle tone in my uterine area so why was i having a hysterectomy. of course that worried my because I am schedule for july 20. Were you out of work 6 weeks for the bladder repair?
Take care.
BJ
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:41 AM

BJ, I had my bladder sling put in on May 26th, home on the 27th. Monday was Memorial day and I was back working on the 31st. I do work from home though. I drove myself to my 1 week checkup. Things were sore for a few weeks. I think 1-2 weeks out from work is reasonable. There are just lifting restrictions for 8-12 weeks.

I had my sling tightened and that put me back a few weeks. Now the bladder feels normal, but the other prolapses are driving me crazy. The uro said that the sling won't do it's job completely in time if I don't get the uterus out. Lucky me!
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:58 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am wondering is a bladder sling the same as a A & P repair? That is what I am scheduled for. Do you have a scar from that now? Did an obgyn doc do the surgery or does it have to be a uriologist?
Sorry for all the questions, I just have so many and so little time to make up my mind.
Unread 07-13-2005, 01:06 PM

BJ, A/P repair is anterior (front-bladder) and posterior (back-rectum) repair. I just had the bladder done, but will be having the posterior with my TVH. I had a urologist fix my bladder. There are no scars. All done inside. My urologist has developed a variation where there are strings on the outside in my pubic area, so that he can tighten or loosen the sling without any further surgery. These are tiny holes that I won't even notice. I don't think that there are many uros who do this. He has given lectures on the technique, but I don't think that it's a common way of doing it.
Unread 07-13-2005, 01:45 PM

I had my hyster in April and for me sex is better. I had much pain before my hyster when I was having sex and now there is no pain. It is very nice not having to worry about bleeding. Good luck with your surgery!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.