HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do You Feel Better After Hysterectomy? Do You Feel Better After Hysterectomy?

Unread 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Do You Feel Better After Hysterectomy?

I Have Not Been Scheduled Yet, But Am Set Up To Schedule Next Thursday. I Am Very Scared. But Have Been In Some Great, Difficult Pain And Bleeding For 3 Weeks Out Of A Month And Am Still Skeptical If I Will Feel Any Better After This Is Done. I Do Not Know Many People To See If It Actually Does Help You Feel Better. I Just Know I Am Tired Of Being In Pain Every Day.
Unread 07-13-2005, 02:53 PM

I feel much better after my hyster. I still have little stabbing pains here and there from my surgery but that is part of recovering. The recovery is hard and difficult but well worth it for me. I bleed pretty much for 4 yrs straight even being on birth control, the pain was horrible and at times I was crawling because it hurt so much to walk. I have more energy and more freedom then I ever did before though I still tire pretty easily and my stomach swells alot at the end of the night. Right now it is kinda like a give take situation for me, but I don't regret having my hyster because no matter how tired, swelled and little zingers I get right now, I feel so much better. Good luck with your surgery!!!
Michelle
BTW I had my hyster on April 1st of this year so it has been a little over 3 months.
Unread 07-13-2005, 03:08 PM

I feel like a new person and I am only 8 weeks post op, so I know it will get even better. I have so much more energy. I was bleeding 3 out of 4 weeks a month and I have not missed that at all.
Unread 07-13-2005, 03:41 PM

YES!!! Everything is better, not one regret here, fear is a normal part of any major change in our lives, my advise to you would be 100% happy with your decision, looking at all possible options, keep a positive attitude but most of all take care of "YOU" one of the many things I've learnt since having my surgery 10 months ago is listen to my body and take care of myself physically and mentally, give yourself time to heal is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I wish you a sucessful surgery, recovery and end to all your pain and bleeding, we all deserve it!!!
Unread 07-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Yes, I feel much better. I am in my 4th mo. now, and feel that I am finally getting my life back. I had a TAH (everying gone) in March and have not seen a drop of blood since 3/02/05! I bled so much for the past year, and had begun to hate the color red! And don't miss those 12 painful fibroids one little bit!

I would like to add that this surgery is not to be taken lightly...recovery is a loooong journey, and your body goes through so much, both mentally and physically. For me, it was worth it...and I know that by next summer I will be much happier once I have fully recovered. I am looking forward to a healthy new me!

Take care, and best wishes to you!
Unread 07-13-2005, 04:33 PM

Hi Melissa,

I am so sorry you are having so much pain and bleeding
It is very normal to be scared and nervous, hopefully knowing you are not alone and that you have many wonderful sisters here may help ease some of your worries.

My hysterectomy has completely taken care of my pain. My hysterectomy was for endometriosis. I have been very fortunate that the surgery has taken care of my problems. I also had my ovaries removed and had some difficulties in the beginning with my hormones, but even that has been fine for awhile.

Has your doctor been able to give you a diagnosis ? Have you talked to your doctor to see what type of a hysterectomy you will be having ? Here is a link to the resource section that may have some useful atricles for your situation.Resources...click here

If you are unsure that a hysterectomy will help with your pain, please speak with your doctor and have them help answer your questions. It may be helpful to write all your questions down and take them with you to your doctors appointment. If you are anything like me...I forget what I wanted to ask as soon as I get there.

There is no rush in making your decisoin. Take your time and read as much as possible so you are fully aware of all the possiblities that may arise. It may also make you feel better to get another opinion from a different doctor. There may be a less invasive treatment option that may help you with your discomfort.

Best Wishes
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:42 PM

Hi Melissa

I feel so much better since my TAH/BSO in Feb . 2005. I have my energy back and enthusiasm for life, I am a nicer person too!! I have been so busy doing things I was too exhausted to do. I will add that there have been some trade offs, like surgical menopause, to deal with and residual pain, but I will take this over what it was before. All the best.
Unread 07-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Melissa,

Sorry to hear about that awful pain and bleeding. I had a LAVH on July 1st of this year. It will be two weeks this Friday and I cannot tell you what a relief it has been. I have been a bit sore and tired but the tiredness is nothing compared what I experienced before the hysterectomy. I was downright delirious from all the blood loss. I was very scared and nervous and had some tearful days before the hysterectomy even though I had made a definite decision with no turning back. In my mind it was my hope for a better quality of life, more useful moments, and the chance to be more involved in my life instead of seemingly watching it unfold in front of me being too tired to even care some days. It is still very early in my recovery but I don't think I will ever regret doing this. I have the feeling I will be getting stronger every day and I even find myself making plans to do things that I wouldn't have even considered doing (like going back to school to advance my career) just because I didn't have the energy before. Best wishes to you in your decision.
Unread 07-14-2005, 09:26 AM

I ditto everything everyone said.The recovery pain and time was all worth it!...No pms,no pain.....sense of well being,new lease on life.....Get past the first few months and you just won't believe it.And if you are like me,it'll be nothing compared to endo pain.Take care....it's all about YOU>....
Unread 07-14-2005, 10:26 AM

I have no regrets. I too was in a great deal of pain and taking strong pain medication. I woke up from surgery and didn't even want the morphine. If you were in as much pain as I was, the pain from surgery will be a breeze. Remember to take it easy, don't lift anything heavier than the remote control, and let others do for you.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.