HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

rectocele and gas rectocele and gas

Unread 07-15-2005, 09:05 PM
rectocele and gas

I have to splint to have a bm, but now I can't even pass gas without pushing on the outside of my vaginal opening. I can feel a bulge that extends past the opening at least an inch or more on each side.

Also, by the end of the day I feel a irritating, swollen feeling in my vaginal opening.

Are these things to be concerned about or just minor things.
Unread 07-16-2005, 11:14 AM
rectocele and gas

(((Tacy)))) Have you been diagnosed with Rectocele? The symptoms you describe are very similar to the symptoms I had when I was dealing with a rectocele, pre-hyst. In my case, the rectocele was stage 3 and, in part, linked to the oversized uterus. Repairing the rectocele has resulted in getting rid of all these annoying symptoms.

If you haven't seen your doctor yet, considering how severe your symptoms are, I think the time has come. I know that none of us relish the thought of another surgery but, sometimes, it may be the best thing for our bodies.

Lots of s. Please keep us posted.
Unread 07-16-2005, 02:07 PM
rectocele and gas

My GP and my GYN have both dx it. The GYN said that I have been thru so much since my hyst, that I shouldn't have any further surgery unless it really bothers me. It is affecting my daily life, yet I'm TERRIFIED to have another surgery. I had the hyst. a yr. ago and still have issue around that. OTOH it has gotten markedly worse in the past two months and I have a constant pulling sensation in my lower ab/pelvis.

Since all of your pre-op symptoms went away, did anything new and negative happen because of the surgery? I'm mostly concerned with painful intercourse after rectocele repair.
Unread 07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
rectocele and gas

Oh ((((Tacy)))) As you know, we're all different so there's no way for me to guarantee that a surgery will cure you and that there will be no lasting side effects should you have a surgery. All I can tell you that, as far as I know, there have not been any lasting effects from the repairs portion of the surgery: Sex is better than before. Only problem, and it's minor, is that the surgeon did some extra stitches at the back of the perineum and that has led to us having to make adjustments at times.

The way I see it, you're the only one who knows just how much this problem is affecting your life.
Unread 07-18-2005, 08:20 AM
rectocele and gas

Hi Tacy
You are describing the exact symptoms I had with my rectocele and enterocele. I had the repairs in Jan and the surgery wasn't bad at all. For most sisters the surgery corrects the symptoms. Unfortunately I continue with the bm issues and am going to be having another pelvic floor test to see what is going on. It sounds like it is time for you to get it fixed. From my experience it will only get larger and more bothersome.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Peggy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.